Tacoma rains on Grizzlies' homer parade
Tacoma, WA - Despite three solo homers, the Fresno Grizzlies (55-67) were defeated 8-4 by the Tacoma Rainiers (54-68) on Thursday evening at Cheney Stadium, in the opener of Fresno's final road trip of 2019. The Grizzlies will play 11 games away from Chukchansi Park before returning for the final eight-game homestand of the season, beginning August 26.
After Jake Fraley homered for the home side in the first inning, Brandon Snyder tied the game with his team-leading 27th longball of the season in the fifth. Drew Ward followed with his third dinger since his promotion to Fresno from Double-A Harrisburg, and Fresno led 2-1. Ward's blast marked the sixth time this season the Grizzlies' have hit back-to-back home runs, and the third time Snyder has been involved in doing so. It was 3-1 an inning later when Yadiel Hernandez kept pace in the Grizz homer race, lifting his 26th.
A two-run Jaycob Brugman homer in the sixth immediately tied the game. Tacoma took the lead an inning later with a pair of runs, including a RBI single from Brugman.
Fresno starter Logan Ondrusek worked a third consecutive quality start, scattering six hits over six innings for three earned runs. The right-hander stuck out four and walked only one. Rainiers' righty Darren McCaughan matched Ondrusek with six innings and three runs, on just the three solo shots.
Ryan Court hit Tacoma's sixth homer, a two-run shot in the eighth to reach eight runs. Consecutive Fresno doubles in the ninth by Jose Marmolejos and Snyder finished the night's scoring.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- Solo HR: RF Brandon Snyder (27), 3B Drew Ward (3), DH Yadiel Hernandez (26)
- RF Brandon Snyder (2-2, 2B, RBI, R, BB)
- RHP Logan Ondrusek (6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K)
Top Performers: Tacoma Rainiers (Seattle Mariners)
- DH Jaycob Brugman (3-5, HR, 3 RBI)
- CF Jake Fraley (3-4, solo HR, 2 R)
- RHP Darren McCaughan (6.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday August 16 Tacoma Rainiers (Road) LHP Ben Braymer (Fresno) vs. LHP Anthony Misiewicz (Tacoma) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: With a 2-for-4 effort, Grizz infielder Carter Kieboom has now reached base in 34 of his last 36 games.
Fresno is hitting .286 as a club this season, a pace that would make for the highest team batting average since the 2007 Grizzlies (San Francisco Giants) also hit .286. 2007 achieved the second-best average in Fresno's 22 seasons of Triple-A baseball; the second Grizzlies team in 1999 hit .294. The 2019 Grizzlies are slugging .482, on pace for a franchise record; the 2017 Grizz (Houston Astros) led the PCL by slugging .473 while leading the league in home runs (200).
Fresno is 13-28 this season when allowing one or more runs in the first inning, and have lost 18 of their last 22 games when surrendering a run in the opening frame. The Grizzlies are 21-20 in 2019 when scoring in the first inning.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Express Throws Dodgers Off the Tracks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Cruise to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Strong Pitching Not Enough as Missions Doubled up by Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Woodford Gives up One Hit in 6.0 Innings to Lead 8-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Make It Four in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Steamrolls Oklahoma City 13-3 on Hall of Fame Night - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Rally for Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Unveil GECU Bark at the Park Jerseys - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (54-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-70) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (56-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-56) - Memphis Redbirds
- Coming up Short Once Again - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators' Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Loss to Albuquerque - Las Vegas Aviators
- Tacoma rains on Grizzlies' homer parade - Fresno Grizzlies
- Late Aces rally dooms River Cats in series opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Open Road Trip in Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Brugman Drives Home Three Including Game-Winner as Tacoma Takes Homestand Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Westbrook's Clutch Gene Carries Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Continue Dominance of Salt Lake - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Take Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Dodgers Kept in Station by Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th