K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 30
Kalamazoo wraps up 2019 with New Year's Eve bash at Wings Event Center against Indy, then travels on first weekend of 2020.
OVERALL RECORD: 12-14-3
LAST WEEK: 3-0-0
Friday, Dec. 27 - Kalamazoo 7, Indy 3 (Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo, MI) | Box Score
>> The Kalamazoo Wings returned from holiday break and extended their winning streak to three with a convincing 7-3 win over the Indy Fuel Friday at Wings Event Center. After falling behind 1-0 after one, the K-Wings scored a season-high four goals in the second period, including an even-strength goal from Ben Wilson, a shorthanded goal from Aaron Thow, and power play markers from Justin Kovacs and Justin Taylor. Kalamazoo led 4-2 after 40 minutes, but the Fuel closed the game 5:30 into the third. 17 seconds later, Luke Sandler made it 5-3. Tanner Sorenson added two goals later in the final frame for good measure. Sorenson (2 goals, 2 assists) and Dylan Sadowy (4 assists) each recorded four points. Jake Hildebrand stopped 35 of 38 for his sixth win of the season.
Saturday, Dec. 28 - Kalamazoo 3, Fort Wayne 2, OT (Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo, MI) | Box Score
>> The K-Wings celebrated Affiliate Night Saturday at Wings Event Center, honoring their affiliation with the National Hockey League's Vancouver Canucks and American Hockey League's Utica Comets. Kalamazoo extended its season-best winning streak to four games with a 3-2 overtime win against the Fort Wayne Komets. Following a scoreless first period, Fort Wayne scored midway through the middle frame to make it 1-0, but Jake Kielly stopped 24 of 25 Komets shots. Matheson Iacopelli then tied the game on a 5-on-3 power play in the third, followed less than a minute later by Justin Taylor, who scored right after the second Fort Wayne penalty ended to put Kalamazoo in front. The Komets forced overtime with 4:11 remaining when they scored a power play goal of their own, but Taylor buried the game-winner 21 seconds into the extra session. Kielly finished with 42 saves, his third 40-plus save outing of the season.
Sunday, Dec. 29 - Kalamazoo 5, Fort Wayne 4 (Memorial Coliseum - Fort Wayne, IN) | Box Score
>> Three first period goals, including the first of two from rookie forward Adam Dauda led the Kalamazoo Wings to a 5-4 win and a home-and-home weekend sweep over the Fort Wayne Komets Sunday at Memorial Coliseum. Zach Diamantoni broke a 1-1 tie late in the opening frame, and Justin Taylor scored a power play goal to make it 3-1 after 20 minutes. The Komets closed the gap to one with the only goal of the middle frame, but Kyle Blaney scored 13 seconds into the third period to put Kalamazoo back in front by a pair. Again Fort Wayne answered to make it 4-3, but Dauda bookended the K-Wings scoring with the eventual game-winner capping his first multi-goal game as a pro. One more goal from Fort Wayne was not enough to complete the comeback, as Jake Hildebrand stopped 31 of 35 for his third straight win and the team's fifth in a row.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Tuesday, Dec. 31 - Kalamazoo vs Indy, 6:00 p.m. - Wings Event Center (Kalamazoo, MI)
Friday, Jan. 3 - Kalamazoo AT Toledo, 7:15 p.m. - Huntington Center (Toledo, OH)
Saturday, Jan. 4 - Kalamazoo AT Fort Wayne, 7:35 p.m. - Memorial Coliseum (Fort Wayne, IN)
ON THE MOVE
12/27 - Forward David Pope assigned to Kalamazoo from Utica (AHL) by Vancouver (NHL).
12/28 - Forward Tanner Sorenson recalled by Utica (AHL).
- Justin Taylor has a 5-game goal streak and a 6-game point streak (6g, 2a).
- Matheson Iacopelli has a 4-game assist streak and a 5-game point streak (3g, 5a).
- Jake Kielly is 3-1-1 in his last 5 starts and has stopped 40 or more shots in three games this year.
- Kalamazoo matched a season-high seven goals in Friday's 7-3 win over Indy.
- The K-Wings have scored at least one power play goal in 9 of the last 11 games.
- Kalamazoo has won five straight games since Dec. 20.
POINTS: 33 - Dylan Sadowy
GOALS: 17 - Sadowy
ASSISTS: 17 - Kyle Blaney
PLUS/MINUS: +5 - Ian Edmondson
PIMS: 75 - Luke Sandler
PP GOALS: 6 - Sadowy, Justin Taylor
SH GOALS: 1 - Brennan Sanford, Tanner Sorenson, Aaron Thow
GW GOALS: 3 - Taylor
SHOTS: 96 - Sadowy
WINS: 7 - Jake Hildebrand
GAA: 3.65 - Hildebrand
SAVE %: .881 - Hildebrand, Jake Kielly
POWER PLAY: Overall - 23/115 (20.0%) - 7th in ECHL
Last Week - 4/11 (36.4%)
PENALTY KILL: Overall - 88/116 (75.6%) - 25th in ECHL
Last Week - 8/11 (72.7%)
TUESDAY, DEC. 31 - NEW YEAR'S EVE
Start the final countdown to 2020 with a New Year's Eve celebration at Wings Event Center Tuesday at 6:00 p.m., as the Kalamazoo Wings host the Indy Fuel. The game starts an hour earlier than usual to allow you to get to your next destination before midnight! Start thinking of that New Year's Resolution.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 30, 2019
- Quick Strike Offense Leads Thunder Past Mavs - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Home-And-Home with Wichita, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Payne's OT Winner Powers Thunder over Beast, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Late Rally Not Enough as Worcester Falls 6-3 in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Win Eleventh Straight Game at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- IceMen Acquire Forward Adam Dauda from Kalamazoo - Jacksonville IceMen
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Monday: KC Comes Back from Break Strong with Two Road Wins - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Weekly: 2020 Vision - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Sign Eddie Matsushima - Maine Mariners
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 30 - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Was a Consistent Winner in the 2010s - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Welcome Walleye for New Year's Eve; Launch 2020 Slate at Indy Friday, Wings Return Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 12 (December 22 - January 5, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 30 - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 30 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Pregame Notes: December 30 vs. Worcester Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.