Mavs Monday: KC Comes Back from Break Strong with Two Road Wins
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks came roaring out of the gates after the ECHL holiday break, winning two road games at the Cincinnati Cyclones and Indy Fuel last Friday and Saturday night. It was the Tyler Parsons Show on both nights, as the Calgary Flames prospect stopped 74 of 76 shots across the two victories. The Mavericks now play a home and home set with the Wichita Thunder before hitting the road for a six-game road trip, their longest of the season.
Last Week's Action
Fri. 12/27: W, 3-2 at Cincinnati
Sat. 12/28: W, 4-0 at Indy
This Week's Schedule
Mon. 12/30: at Wichita Thunder
Tue. 12/31: vs. Wichita Thunder
Thu. 1/2: at Allen Americans
Fri. 1/3: at Allen Americans
Mountain Division Standings
1. Allen Americans (23-5-4-1, 51 points)
2. Idaho Steelheads (18-10-3-2, 41 points)
3. Rapid City Rush (17-11-3-0, 37 points)
4. Utah Grizzlies (16-9-4-1, 37 points)
5. Wichita Thunder (14-15-5-0, 33 points)
6. Tulsa Oilers (13-17-2-1, 29 points)
7. Kansas City Mavericks (13-15-2-0, 28 points)
First Clean Sheet
Mavericks goaltender Tyler Parsons had the Mavericks first shutout this season, stopping all 38 shots by the Indy Fuel on Saturday. His 38 saves were the most by a Mavs goaltender this season.
Parsons By The Numbers
Parsons has stopped 100 of his last 106 shots faced and is 6-2-0-0 on the season. The Calgary Flames prospect now holds a .923 save percentage (6th in the ECHL) and 2.49 goals against average (9th in the ECHL).
The Mavericks stunned the Central Division-leading Cincinnati Cyclones on Friday night, as Mavericks forward Mitch Hults caused a turnover at the Cyclones blue line and streaked in on 'Clones goalie Michael Houser and beat him for the game-winning goal with 18 seconds left in regulation. It was Hults's third straight game with a goal and the latest game winning goal scored in regulation by the Mavericks this season.
RVS In Double DIgits
Ryan Van Stralen joined Mavericks Captain Rocco Carzo as the only Mavs players to reach double digits in goals so far this year. Carzo has 12 and Van Stralen tallied his 10th goal at Indy Saturday. Van Stralen is also just three points off his point total from last season in 23 games this year. In 57 games with Wichita last year, Van Stralen had 19 points on eight goals and 11 assists. This year, he has 10 goals and 6 assists for 16 points.
The Mavericks came firing out of the gate after a six-day holiday break. They are 2-0-0-0 in their first two games back from break and have outscored opponents 7-2 in those two games after a stretch that saw them lose four out of five games leading up to the extended break.
One Game At A Time
The Mavericks currently sit nine points back of the fourth and final playoff spot in the ECHL's Mountain Division, but have four games at hand over fifth place Wichita and trail sixth place Tulsa by just one point.
After Tuesday's New Year's Eve game against the Thunder, the Mavericks hit the road for their longest road trip of the season from January 2nd to January 18th. KC heads to Allen next Thursday and Friday, then plays Tulsa and Wichita on the 10th and 11th before making the long trek east to play defending Kelly Cup Champions, the Newfoundland Growlers on January 14th and 15th. The Mavs will return home on January 18th to face the Allen Americans.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 30, 2019
- Quick Strike Offense Leads Thunder Past Mavs - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Home-And-Home with Wichita, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Payne's OT Winner Powers Thunder over Beast, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Late Rally Not Enough as Worcester Falls 6-3 in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Win Eleventh Straight Game at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- IceMen Acquire Forward Adam Dauda from Kalamazoo - Jacksonville IceMen
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Monday: KC Comes Back from Break Strong with Two Road Wins - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Weekly: 2020 Vision - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Sign Eddie Matsushima - Maine Mariners
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 30 - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Was a Consistent Winner in the 2010s - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Welcome Walleye for New Year's Eve; Launch 2020 Slate at Indy Friday, Wings Return Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 12 (December 22 - January 5, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 30 - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 30 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Pregame Notes: December 30 vs. Worcester Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.