Quick Strike Offense Leads Thunder Past Mavs
WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita closed its home portion of 2019 in style, skating past Kansas City by the final of 5-2 on Monday night at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Peter Crinella scored twice while three others found the back of the net. Evan Weninger earned his 5th win of the season, stopping 35 shots.
Crinella got things started at 7:34 when he put a wrap-around past Tyler Parsons to make it 1-0. Kansas City tied it up less than three minutes later as Rocco Carzo popped a rebound over Weninger for his 13th of the year.
Early in the second, Chris Crane scored his 11th of the year to make it 2-1. He found a loose puck off a shot that went wide off the back wall just 46 seconds in and potted the go-ahead goal.
The Thunder tacked on three in the third period to pull away. Crinella scored his second of the night just nine seconds into the frame when he stole the puck off the boards and beat Parsons over the shoulder to make it 3-1. Three minutes later, Fabrizio Ricci increased the lead to 4-1. He caught a long-lead pass from Riley Weselowski, skated past the defenseman and scored while he was getting hauled to the ice. Jason Salvaggio found the back of the net at 9:37 to make it 5-1. Kansas City added a late goal from Jack Walker, but the Thunder won going away.
Crinella finished with two goals for the second time in the last six games. Crane and Ricci each had a goal and an assist and Desharnais recorded two assists.
Wichita heads to Kansas City tomorrow night to close out the decade with another meeting in the Independence Cup Series at 7:05 p.m.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 30, 2019
- Quick Strike Offense Leads Thunder Past Mavs - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Home-And-Home with Wichita, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Payne's OT Winner Powers Thunder over Beast, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Late Rally Not Enough as Worcester Falls 6-3 in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Win Eleventh Straight Game at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- IceMen Acquire Forward Adam Dauda from Kalamazoo - Jacksonville IceMen
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Monday: KC Comes Back from Break Strong with Two Road Wins - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Weekly: 2020 Vision - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Sign Eddie Matsushima - Maine Mariners
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 30 - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Was a Consistent Winner in the 2010s - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Welcome Walleye for New Year's Eve; Launch 2020 Slate at Indy Friday, Wings Return Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 12 (December 22 - January 5, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 30 - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 30 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Pregame Notes: December 30 vs. Worcester Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.