Payne's OT Winner Powers Thunder over Beast, 3-2
BRAMPTON, ON - Robbie Payne scored twice, including the overtime game-winner, and Evan Cormier made 22 saves as the Adirondack Thunder took down the Brampton Beast in overtime on Monday night.
After hitting a post early on in the first period, it took just 4:16 for the Thunder to hit the back of the net. James Henry freed up the puck in the corner and went up the wall for Matt Salhany. Salhany fed Casey Pierro-Zabotel whose wrist shot beat Brampton netminder Alex Dubeau for his team-leading 15th goal of the season.
Adirondack extended their lead 45 seconds into the second period. Evan Cormier made a save that propelled a two-on-one with Robbie Payne who snapped the puck past Dubeau for his ninth of the season. The goal was unassisted.
The Beast cut the Thunder lead to just one goal with 1:51 left in the middle frame. Cam Bakker put the puck to the net three times. After his first two attempts were blocked, Bakker took the puck to the net and beat Cormier on the backhand for his second of the season.
Brampton found the equalizer with 5:53 to go in the third period. Francois Beauchemin picked up the rebound for his 12th of the season.
For the third time in six games, the Thunder went to the extra session. 1:16 into overtime, Robbie Payne went 1-on-2 into the offensive zone and ripped a shot over the shoulder of Dubeau for his second of the game and the game-winner.
Both teams went 0-for-2 on the powerplay and the Thunder were outshot by the Beast 24-21.
The Thunder host the Beast tomorrow night at Cool Insuring Arena for a 5pm New Year's Eve tilt. Get two tickets for just $25!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 30, 2019
- Quick Strike Offense Leads Thunder Past Mavs - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Home-And-Home with Wichita, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Payne's OT Winner Powers Thunder over Beast, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Late Rally Not Enough as Worcester Falls 6-3 in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Win Eleventh Straight Game at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- IceMen Acquire Forward Adam Dauda from Kalamazoo - Jacksonville IceMen
- Milner Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Monday: KC Comes Back from Break Strong with Two Road Wins - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Weekly: 2020 Vision - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Sign Eddie Matsushima - Maine Mariners
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 30 - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Was a Consistent Winner in the 2010s - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Welcome Walleye for New Year's Eve; Launch 2020 Slate at Indy Friday, Wings Return Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 12 (December 22 - January 5, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 30 - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 30 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Pregame Notes: December 30 vs. Worcester Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack Thunder Issue Statement on Opt out of 2020-21 Season
- Adirondack Lands Veteran Forward Pete Macarthur in Trade with Orlando
- Rookie Defenseman Grant Frederic Turns Pro with Thunder
- Former QMJHL Champion Samuel Laberge Joins Adirondack
- Thunder Acquire Rights to Forward Chase Lang from IceMen