James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week
NASHVILLE - The Pacific Coast League announced today that Nashville Sounds' pitcher James Naile has been named PCL Pitcher of the Week for the extended period of April 5 to April 15.
Naile, 25, went 3-0 with 17 2/3 scoreless innings in his first three starts of the season. The right-hander concluded the dominant period with a complete game shutout in yesterday's 1-0 win over the Omaha Storm Chasers.
The weekly honor is the first of Naile's four-year career. He was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 20th round of the 2015 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
Naile got the nod on Opening Day in New Orleans and responded with five shutout innings in Nashville's 11-0 win. He scattered seven hits over 5 2/3 shutout frames in his next outing on April 10 against Iowa. In his 17 2/3 innings, Naile has allowed 15 hits and only two walks go to along with 15 strikeouts.
Ranked by MLB Pipeline as Oakland's #25 prospect, Naile's complete game yesterday was the first in his career. He is one of only two starting pitchers in all of Minor League Baseball to have three wins in 2018.
In his career, Naile is 17-14 with a 3.00 ERA in 69 games (43 starts). He made two spot starts for the Sounds in 2016 but was on a Triple-A Opening Day roster for the first time in his career this year.
Nashville had three pitchers garner weekly PCL honors in 2017. Daniel Gossett, Chris Smith and Ben Bracewell earned a PCL Pitcher of the Week award last year.
The 2018 season is the Sounds' 41st in franchise history and fourth as the Oakland Athletics' top affiliate. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
Images from this story
Nashville Sounds Pitcher James Naile
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2018
- L.V. 51s Are Rebranding in 2019 Name the Team Sweepstakes - Las Vegas 51s
- Salt Lake Bees Second Homestand Begins Tuesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Inning Heroics Not Enough Monday Afternoon - Reno Aces
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Snap Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Babies, Dogs, Yogis Coming to Dell Diamond this Week - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk-Off with Wild Pitch - Nashville Sounds
- O'Neill Homers Twice; Redbirds Complete 6-1 Homestand - Memphis Redbirds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 16, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights: April 17-23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tacoma at Sacramento Postponed - Tacoma Rainiers
- James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - PCL
- Today's Game Postponed: Double-Header Sunday, May 13 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20 - Reno Aces
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (2-8) at Nashville Sounds (5-6) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Partner with LifeShare of Oklahoma to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-2) vs Iowa Cubs (3-6) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Iowa Snaps Sounds Streak, Takes Series Finale 7-1
- Sounds Notch Fifth Shutout in Fifth Straight Win
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (7-6) at Iowa Cubs (3-8)
- Sounds and Cubs Postponed in Iowa
- Winning Streak Hits Four Games as Sounds Win in Iowa