Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20
RENO, Nev. - The Reno Aces will host Saint Mary's "Home Run for Life" ceremony, featuring Don MacGregor, a stroke survivor, on Friday, April 20 when the Aces take on the El Paso Chihuahuas at 6:35 p.m. at Greater Nevada Field.
Since 2014, the Aces and Saint Mary's have been partnered to showcase the "Home Run for Life" program. Once a month, a brave individual in the Northern Nevada community is honored by taking a ceremonial trip around the bases with each team lining the baselines. The ceremony symbolizes the end of a battle against adversity. Individuals honored had overcome a significant medical event in their life with the help of St. Mary's personnel.
Shortly after Don MacGregor moved to Reno, his primary care physician sent him to see a Cardiologist for shortness of breath. Don went to see Dr. Ram Challapalli and was diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis. His symptoms were being managed for many years with medication, but it came to the point where intervention was needed. Don needed a new aortic valve.
Dr. Challapalli referred him to Dr. Devang Desai, of Saint Mary's Cardiology to look at options. One option was open heart surgery to fix his aortic valve. The other was TAVR (Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement), which is a procedure to get a new aortic valve, without opening up his chest. Don had the TAVR done on February 13, 2018 and walked out of Saint Mary's Hospital the VERY next day, with a new aortic valve.
With a new aortic valve, thanks to the TAVR procedure, Don and his wife Laura have two trips planned this year and are eager to get back to their busy lives.
MacGregor will round the bases commemorating his "Home Run for Life" in the middle of the second inning Friday night. The Reno Aces and El Paso Chihuahuas players and staff will be lined up along each baseline to greet MacGregor as he makes his way toward home plate while his story of adversity and triumph is publicly announced to the stadium crowd.
Greater Nevada Field gates open at 5:35 p.m. on Friday, April 20. Tickets are on-sale now at www.renoaces.com or by calling (775) 334-7000. Follow the club all season long on Twitter (@Aces) or like the team on Facebook. The Aces will host Northern Nevada's first ever Pay-What-You-Want Night tomorrow, April 17. Proceeds will go to the JustIn Hope Foundation to help those affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other neurodevelopment disorders.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2018
- L.V. 51s Are Rebranding in 2019 Name the Team Sweepstakes - Las Vegas Aviators
- Salt Lake Bees Second Homestand Begins Tuesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Inning Heroics Not Enough Monday Afternoon - Reno Aces
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Snap Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Babies, Dogs, Yogis Coming to Dell Diamond this Week - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk-Off with Wild Pitch - Nashville Sounds
- O'Neill Homers Twice; Redbirds Complete 6-1 Homestand - Memphis Redbirds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 16, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights: April 17-23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tacoma at Sacramento Postponed - Tacoma Rainiers
- James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - PCL
- Today's Game Postponed: Double-Header Sunday, May 13 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20 - Reno Aces
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (2-8) at Nashville Sounds (5-6) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Partner with LifeShare of Oklahoma to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-2) vs Iowa Cubs (3-6) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.