Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4
NASHVILLE, TN - The Storm Chasers couldn't take advantage of a great outing by Trevor Oaks , as a 4-run lead turned into a 5-4 defeat in their road trip finale on Monday afternoon at First Tennessee Field.
The Chasers took the lead with 2 runs in the top of the 1st against Frankie Montas. Billy Burns and Jack Lopez singled, and Hunter Dozier walked to load the bases. With 1 out, Frank Schwindel lifted a sacrifice fly to right field, scoring Burns. On the same play, Sounds first baseman Slade Heathcott cut off the throw from right and relayed the ball errantly to 3rd, allowing Lopez to also score.
Montas pitched 3 innings, and was charged with 2 runs (1 earned) on 3 hits. He struck out 2 and walked 2.
Omaha doubled their lead in the top of the 5th against Chris Bassitt. Humberto Arteaga walked, went to 2nd on a sacrifice bunt by Billy Burns, and scored on a single by Jack Lopez. After Hunter Dozier hit into a fielder's choice, Ryan O'Hearn was hit by a pitch, and Sounds shortstop Melvin Mercedes booted a grounder hit by Frank Schwindel, allowing Dozier to score for a 4-0 advantage.
Trevor Oaks was excellent over 6 innings for the Chasers; he allowed no runs, 3 hits, and no walks, with 2 strikeouts.
But Nashville denied him a win by rallying to tie the game in the bottom of the 7th against Eric Stout . Slade Heathcott led off with an infield single and advanced to 2nd on a throwing error by Stout. Josh Phegley doubled Heathcott home, Nick Martini walked, Steve Lombardozzi sacrificed them to 2nd and 3rd, and with 2 out, Jorge Mateo was intentionally walked to load the bases. B.J. Boyd then delivered a base-clearing, 3-run double to left field, plating Phegley, Martini, and Mateo to make it 4-4.
The Sounds looked like they would mount a game-winning rally against Josh Staumont in the bottom of the 8th. Sheldon Neuse walked, Slade Heathcott walked, and Slade Heathcott bunted for a single, loading the bases with nobody out. Staumont rallied, however, striking out the next 2 batters and retiring Melvin Mercedes on a force out.
But Nashville did find the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. Kevin Lenik (L, 0-1) replaced Staumont, and with 1 out, B.J. Boyd beat out an infield singe. He advanced to 2nd on a walk to Dustin Fowler, and went to 3rd on a groundout. With Slade Heathcott at the plate, Lenik uncorked a wild pitch, allowing Boyd to score the winning run.
Bobby Wahl (W, 1-0) was awarded the win after pitching a scoreless top of the 9th.
The Storm Chasers (2-9) return to Werner Park to begin a 4-game series against Memphis (and a 7-game homestand) tomorrow. LHP Jon Dziedzic (0-1, 1.64) will pitch for Omaha, while LHP Austin Gomber (1-0, 4.22) opposes him for the Redbirds.
It will be a 50-Cent Tuesday, in honor of the 50th season in franchise history. Enjoy 5 different concessions items for 50 cents each at Tuesday night home games (except for July 3rd), including french fries, canned soda, nachos, peanuts, and Uncle Ray's Potato Chips.
Single-game tickets are available for all remaining 2018 Storm Chasers home contests, and may be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com/tickets, or through the Werner Park Ticket Office during open hours from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday either in-person or by calling (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2018
- L.V. 51s Are Rebranding in 2019 Name the Team Sweepstakes - Las Vegas Aviators
- Salt Lake Bees Second Homestand Begins Tuesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Inning Heroics Not Enough Monday Afternoon - Reno Aces
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Snap Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Babies, Dogs, Yogis Coming to Dell Diamond this Week - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk-Off with Wild Pitch - Nashville Sounds
- O'Neill Homers Twice; Redbirds Complete 6-1 Homestand - Memphis Redbirds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 16, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights: April 17-23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tacoma at Sacramento Postponed - Tacoma Rainiers
- James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - PCL
- Today's Game Postponed: Double-Header Sunday, May 13 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20 - Reno Aces
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (2-8) at Nashville Sounds (5-6) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Partner with LifeShare of Oklahoma to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-2) vs Iowa Cubs (3-6) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- 3 Chasers Players Named to USA Baseball's Premier12 Roster
- 13 Omaha Alums Chasing World Series Ring
- Mejia, Machado Earn Omaha Player & Pitcher of the Year Honors
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer