Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Colorado Springs Sky Sox claimed the 7-2 victory in the final game of the series against Round Rock Monday morning at Security Service Field. The Sky Sox improve their record to 8-3 in 2018.
Following a scoreless first frame on each side, Colorado Springs struck into the runs column in the second inning to break the contest open. With one out, Tyrone Taylor and Andres Blanco knocked back-to-back singles and Shane Opitz followed up with a third straight hit to plate Taylor. Blanco would eventually score the second run of the frame when Express catcher Cameron Rupp attempted a back-pick at third base and resulted in a throwing error.
In the fifth, with the Sky Sox up 3-0 after back-to-back doubles by Christian Bethancourt and Ji-Man Choi in the third, the Express added to the runs column following a leadoff walk to Nick Noonan, two consecutive singles by Andy Ibanez and Hanser Alberto, and a one-out walk to Scott Heineman to plate a solo run.
The Sky Sox answered back quickly in the bottom half of the fifth with two more runs of their own when Nate Orf launched a bases-clearing double, scoring Brett Phillips (double) and Bethancourt (single) to make it a 5-1 Colorado Springs lead.
Colorado Springs didn't stop there as they added another two runs of support in the sixth inning on Keon Broxton's one-out single followed by Mauricio Dubon's first triple of the season and a fielding error on Phillips' fly ball to left field.
The Express put their second and final run on the board in the eighth inning thanks to Tommy Joseph's solo home run to left field to make it a 7-2 final.
The Sky Sox hit the road for seven games against New Orleans and Round Rock before returning back to Security Service Field on Wednesday, April 25 when they take on the Omaha Storm Chasers, Triple-A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. Tune in to every Sky Sox game on XTRA Sports 1300 with Dan Karcher. Stay up-to-date on the most recent Sky Sox happenings on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and the team website at www.skysox.com.
Woodruff Continues the Pace: Right-handed starter Brandon Woodruff made his second start of the season for the Sky Sox and with the win, improves to 2-0 with a 1.59 ERA in 2018 (11.1 IP, 7 H, 2 R (ER), 6 BB, 7 K). Facing lefties, Woodruff has only allowed one hit in 15 at bats and just six hits versus righties in 25 at bats. Last season with the Sky Sox, Woodruff made 16 starts going 6-5 with a 4.30 ERA in 75.1 innings.
Swiper No Swiping: The Sky Sox are now 16 for 19 on stolen base attempts so far this season and have successfully recorded at least one stolen base in seven of their last eight games.
Errors on the board: Round Rock's three errors in Monday morning's final game was the most seen this season versus the Sky Sox (Hanser Alberto [4th - throwing], Cameron Rupp [1st, pickoff], Willie Calhoun [1st, fielding]).
First Homestand in the Books: The Sky Sox completed their first homestand of the 2018 season with a record of 5-2 (.714). In seven games, Sky Sox batters averaged a .322 average with 19 doubles, five triples, six home runs and 38 RBI with 13 stolen bases. Sky Sox pitching finished out holding a 3.97 ERA over 59 innings pitched allowing 28 runs (26 ER), five home runs, 23 walks, and 56 strikeouts.
To the Road We Go: After a successful start to the season in Omaha, going 3-1 in the initial series, the Sky Sox look to keep the momentum alive. Last season, Colorado Springs posted a 4-3 record against the Baby Cakes on the road. In Round Rock on the road, the Sky Sox posted a 3-5 record.
Tomorrow's Matchup: In the first game of the series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes, right-hander Bubba Derby gets the ball for Colorado Springs. In Derby's last start against the 'Cakes, he tossed 5.1 innings without a decision and allowed three runs (2 ER) on eight hits with four strikeouts in the Sky Sox April 12 walkoff win. Derby will oppose righty Sandy Alcantara who is 0-0 with a 4.82.
NEXT GAME: Tuesday, April 17 @ New Orleans Baby Cakes - 6:00 p.m. MDT @ Shrine on Airline (New Orleans)
RHP Bubba Derby vs. RHP Sandy Alcantara | Broadcast on XTRA Sports 1300
Next Sky Sox Home Game: Wednesday, April 25 @ 6:40 p.m. (Security Service Field)
COS TOP PERFORMERS
- Nate Orf (1-for-4, 2 RBI, 2B)
- Brett Phillips (2-for-4, 2B, 3B, R)
- Mauricio Dubon (1-for-5, 3B, R, RBI)
- Brandon Woodruff (5.2 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 K)
RR TOP PERFORMERS
- Hanser Alberto (3-for-3, BB)
- Tommy Joseph (1-for-4, HR, R, RBI)
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2018
- L.V. 51s Are Rebranding in 2019 Name the Team Sweepstakes - Las Vegas Aviators
- Salt Lake Bees Second Homestand Begins Tuesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Inning Heroics Not Enough Monday Afternoon - Reno Aces
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Snap Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Babies, Dogs, Yogis Coming to Dell Diamond this Week - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk-Off with Wild Pitch - Nashville Sounds
- O'Neill Homers Twice; Redbirds Complete 6-1 Homestand - Memphis Redbirds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 16, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights: April 17-23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tacoma at Sacramento Postponed - Tacoma Rainiers
- James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - PCL
- Today's Game Postponed: Double-Header Sunday, May 13 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20 - Reno Aces
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (2-8) at Nashville Sounds (5-6) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Partner with LifeShare of Oklahoma to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-2) vs Iowa Cubs (3-6) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Sky Sox Stories
- Dodgers Force Sky Sox to Monday Division Decision
- Sky Sox Saturday Night Games Postponed Due to Heavy Rain
- Sky Sox One Win Shy of Clinching American North Division
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow
- Sky Sox Catcher Christian Bethancourt Named to All-PCL Team