Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras
The El Paso Chihuahuas came back to tie the Las Vegas 51s four different times Monday but lost in extra innings 9-6. The two teams split the four-game series.
The Chihuahuas tied the game 1-1 in the third with the help of a two-out Las Vegas error. Trailing 3-1 in the sixth, Allen Craig hit a two-run home run over the right field fence, his first with El Paso. Brett Nicholas hit a game-tying, pinch-hit home run in the bottom of the seventh, El Paso's second pinch-hit homer of the season. The final comeback came with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, when Franmil Reyes lined an RBI single off the left field fence.
Monday was the first extra inning game of the season for both teams. The Chihuahuas had a walk-off opportunity in the bottom of the 10th but were unable to bring in their automatic runner from second base. Las Vegas took advantage of the new pace-of-play rule with a four-run top of the 11th. Nicholas' hit an RBI groundout in the bottom of the 11th for the Chihuahuas final run.
Box Score: https://www.milb.com/gameday/51s-vs-chihuahuas/2018/04/16/542580#game_state=live,game_tab=,game=542580
Team Records: Las Vegas (4-8), El Paso (7-5)
Next Game: Tuesday, 7:35 pm at Greater Nevada Field. El Paso RHP Brett Kennedy (1-0, 1.59) vs. Reno RHP Troy Scribner (0-0, 6.75). The game will air on 600 ESPN El Paso and www.epchihuahuas.com.
Las Vegas 9 El Paso 6 - Monday - 11 Innings
WP: Smith (1-0)
LP: Brewer (0-1)
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2018
- L.V. 51s Are Rebranding in 2019 Name the Team Sweepstakes - Las Vegas Aviators
- Salt Lake Bees Second Homestand Begins Tuesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Inning Heroics Not Enough Monday Afternoon - Reno Aces
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Snap Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Babies, Dogs, Yogis Coming to Dell Diamond this Week - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk-Off with Wild Pitch - Nashville Sounds
- O'Neill Homers Twice; Redbirds Complete 6-1 Homestand - Memphis Redbirds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 16, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights: April 17-23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tacoma at Sacramento Postponed - Tacoma Rainiers
- James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - PCL
- Today's Game Postponed: Double-Header Sunday, May 13 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20 - Reno Aces
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (2-8) at Nashville Sounds (5-6) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Partner with LifeShare of Oklahoma to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-2) vs Iowa Cubs (3-6) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.