I-Cubs Lose Series Finale
MEMPHIS, TN - The Memphis Redbirds (10-2) continued their dominant start to the season, putting the Iowa Cubs (3-7) away 7-4, Monday at AutoZone Park. The Redbirds took the series, 3-1.
Mike Freeman began the game on a high note with a leadoff triple, which was followed immediately by an RBI single from David Bote to give Iowa the early lead.
Memphis clapped back instantly, collecting home runs from Oscar Mercado and Tyler O'Neill in the bottom of the first to go ahead 3-1. Another two-run home run from O'Neill in the third put the Redbirds up 5-1.
The two teams traded runs throughout the game, but Memphis was able to hang on. Iowa's offense was highlighted by a single and a run from Jen-Ho Tseng in the fifth, and a pinch-hit homer from Jacob Hannemann in the eighth. The home run was the first pinch-hit home run for an Iowa Cub since Mark Zagunis on April 23, 2017. It also snapped a 0-for-16 stretch for Hannemann.
Tseng (0-3) lasted 5.0 innings, but gave up six earned runs and a career-high three home runs. He walked one and fanned five. Randy Rosario contributed 2.0 shutout frames. The 23-year-old has not allowed an earned run through four games and 5.0 innings this season.
Iowa returns home tomorrow to begin a seven-game homestand, welcoming Nashville and Memphis to Des Moines. The I-Cubs will wear throwback Iowa Oaks jerseys for the 6:38 p.m. game on Tuesday. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2018
- L.V. 51s Are Rebranding in 2019 Name the Team Sweepstakes - Las Vegas Aviators
- Salt Lake Bees Second Homestand Begins Tuesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Inning Heroics Not Enough Monday Afternoon - Reno Aces
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Snap Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Babies, Dogs, Yogis Coming to Dell Diamond this Week - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk-Off with Wild Pitch - Nashville Sounds
- O'Neill Homers Twice; Redbirds Complete 6-1 Homestand - Memphis Redbirds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 16, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights: April 17-23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tacoma at Sacramento Postponed - Tacoma Rainiers
- James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - PCL
- Today's Game Postponed: Double-Header Sunday, May 13 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20 - Reno Aces
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (2-8) at Nashville Sounds (5-6) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Partner with LifeShare of Oklahoma to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-2) vs Iowa Cubs (3-6) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.