Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - The Colorado Springs Sky Sox (8-3) forced a series split against the Round Rock Express (3-9) with a 7-2 victory in Monday afternoon's finale. Express 1B Tommy Joseph recorded his second homer of the season, but the Sky Sox offense proved to be too much to overcome.
Express RHP David Ledbetter (0-2, 6.43) suffered his second straight loss after allowing five runs, only four of which were earned, on eight hits in 4.0 innings of work. The righty struck out three and walked one. Sky Sox starter RHP Brandon Woodruff (2-0, 1.59) picked up the victory following 5.2 strong innings, allowing only one run on five hits while striking out three.
Colorado Springs jumped out to a 3-0 lead after the first three innings of play. In the second, LF Tyrone Taylor, 3B Andres Blanco and DH Shane Optiz teamed up for three straight singles, the latest of which put the Sky Sox on the board. An ensuing throwing error by E-Train C Cameron Rupp sent Blanco home, upping the gap to 2-0. An inning later, C Christian Bethancourt and 1B Ji-Man Choi teamed up for back-to-back doubles that made it 3-0.
Round Rock got on the board in the fifth. Following a Nick Noonan walk, 2B Andy Ibanez and SS Hanser Alberto each singled to load the bases. A fielder's choice out by Jose Cardona eliminated Noonan at home but left the bases juiced for CF Scott Heineman. The outfielder worked a walk to force in a run, trimming the deficit to 3-1.
However, in the fifth, RF Brett Phillips doubled prior to a Bethancourt single. 2B Nate Orf welcomed Express reliever RHP Reed Garrett to the game with a two-run double that upped the gap to 5-1. The Sky Sox tacked on two more runs in the sixth thanks to a Keon Broxton single followed by Mauricio Dubon RBI triple. A fielding error by LF Willie Calhoun during the next at-bat allowed Dubon to score.
The E-Train added one final run in the ninth as Joseph connected on a Mark Zagurski pitch, collecting his second home run of the series that cut the final score to 7-2.
The Express now return home to open a seven-game homestand with a four-game series against the Oklahoma City Dodgers. Round Rock LHP Yohander Mendez (0-2, 8.00) is scheduled to take the mound opposite Oklahoma City RHP Manny Banuelos (1-0, 1.80). First pitch at Dell Diamond is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2018
- L.V. 51s Are Rebranding in 2019 Name the Team Sweepstakes - Las Vegas Aviators
- Salt Lake Bees Second Homestand Begins Tuesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Inning Heroics Not Enough Monday Afternoon - Reno Aces
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Snap Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Babies, Dogs, Yogis Coming to Dell Diamond this Week - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk-Off with Wild Pitch - Nashville Sounds
- O'Neill Homers Twice; Redbirds Complete 6-1 Homestand - Memphis Redbirds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 16, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights: April 17-23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tacoma at Sacramento Postponed - Tacoma Rainiers
- James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - PCL
- Today's Game Postponed: Double-Header Sunday, May 13 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20 - Reno Aces
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (2-8) at Nashville Sounds (5-6) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Partner with LifeShare of Oklahoma to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-2) vs Iowa Cubs (3-6) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- "Talkin' Baseball with Mike Capps" Returns to AM 1300 The Zone
- Round Rock Express to Host National Anthem Auditions
- Houston Astros Caravan Returns to Dell Diamond on January 15
- Dell Diamond Named Back-To-Back Baseball Field of the Year
- Round Rock Express Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball