Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem
In front of 11,284 screaming kids, the Fresno Grizzlies (9-3) swept the Reno Aces (4-8) 7-6 Sunday morning from Chukchansi Park. With the victory, the Grizzlies extended their win streak to six games, ninth win in ten games and seventh in a row versus the Aces. Fresno also picked up their fifth day game win, third straight series victory and first sweep of the 2018 season. Mike Hauschild (1-1, win) dazzled for six and two-thirds frames, scattering five hits, allowing one run (earned), walking one and punching out eight.
Fresno took an early lead in the bottom of the first when Tyler White smoked a pitch to left. His fourth homer (all versus Reno) of the season and third of the series gave the Grizzlies a 1-0 advantage.
The lead grew to 5-0 for Fresno in the bottom of the third. Drew Ferguson (2-for-5) started the chain when he singled, extending his hit streak to nine games. Then, Jon Kemmer and A.J. Reed walked before J.D. Davis (2-for-3) sharply singled up the middle, scoring two. One batter later, Tim Federowicz (3-for-4) smacked a single to left, adding two more runs. Those would be the final runs allowed by Reno starter Taylor Clarke (1-2, loss). He lasted four and two-thirds innings, letting up six hits, five runs (earned), walking four and striking out one.
Reno got on the board in the top of the seventh when Michael Perez knocked in Socrates Brito (2-for-4), making it 5-1 Fresno. The run was the first allowed by Grizzly pitching in the last 22 and one-third innings and the only run allowed by Hauschild in the homestand (12 and two-thirds innings).
The Grizzlies made it 7-1 in the bottom of the eighth from a Federowicz double to deep center and a Ferguson single. The Aces would not let up though, scoring five runs in the ninth from three home runs.Cesar Puello, Cody Decker and Marcus Littlewood all hammered pitches to different parts of the park. Luckily, Brendan McCurry got a flyout to end the game, picking up his second save and preserving a 7-6 win.
Fresno will leave the friendly confines of Chukchansi Park for Cashman Field and the Las Vegas 51s. Game one of the four game series starts Tuesday night at 7:05 PT. Grizzlies' RHP Trent Thornton (0-1, 6.43) will battle 51s' RHP A.J. Griffin (0-1, 34.71).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2018
- L.V. 51s Are Rebranding in 2019 Name the Team Sweepstakes - Las Vegas Aviators
- Salt Lake Bees Second Homestand Begins Tuesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Chihuahuas Keep Battling, but Fall in Extras - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Inning Heroics Not Enough Monday Afternoon - Reno Aces
- Grizzlies sweep Aces 7-6 behind Hauschild's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Snap Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Babies, Dogs, Yogis Coming to Dell Diamond this Week - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Fall in Final Inning, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Split Series with Round Rock - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Top Express 7-2 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk-Off with Wild Pitch - Nashville Sounds
- O'Neill Homers Twice; Redbirds Complete 6-1 Homestand - Memphis Redbirds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 16, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Homestand Highlights: April 17-23 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tacoma at Sacramento Postponed - Tacoma Rainiers
- James Naile Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Williamson, Naile Secure Season's First Awards - PCL
- Today's Game Postponed: Double-Header Sunday, May 13 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony April 20 - Reno Aces
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (2-8) at Nashville Sounds (5-6) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Partner with LifeShare of Oklahoma to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-2) vs Iowa Cubs (3-6) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Grizzlies Invite Central Valley to Cheer on the Nationals in the World Series
- Grizzlies Unveil Community GARden at Chukchansi Park
- Jamel Herring-Lamont Roach Jr. Tickets at Fresno's Chukchansi Park On Sale Now
- Fresno's Wilmer Difo Named PCL Player of the Week
- Fresno Grizzlies End Season on Six-Game Win Streak