Iowa Shuts Down Stars in 2-1 Win
Iowa Wild (6-9-3-0, 15 pts.) took down the Texas Stars (10-7-2-0, 22 pts.) Wednesday night by a final score of 2-1 at H-E-B Center in Cedar Park, Texas.
Iowa struck first with a power play goal at 10:50 of the first period to gain a 1-0 lead. Forward Gabriel Dumont won the faceoff at the right circle and found defenseman Calen Addison at the blue line. Addison dished it to his left to defenseman Louie Belpedio whose one-time shot went under the glove of Texas goaltender Tomas Sholl (21 saves).
The Wild scored the period's lone goal and held a 1-0 lead after the first period, which included killing four straight Stars' power plays. Texas outshot Iowa 19-2 through 20 minutes of play.
Both teams went scoreless in the second period. Iowa kept it a 1-0 game despite Texas' one power play chance of the period, and after 40 minutes were a perfect 5-5 on the penalty kill. Iowa also had a power play but failed to increase their lead. In the second period, Iowa led in shots 12-6, for two-period totals of 25 for the Stars and 14 for the Wild.
The Wild extended their lead early in the third period at 1:26. Forward Gerry Mayhew fired a wrist shot from the slot that beat Sholl under his blocker side. Dumont and defensemen Ryan O'Rourke collected the assists on the tally.
Texas got on the scoreboard at 8:59 of the third period to cut Iowa's lead to one goal. Forward Adam Mascherin tipped a shot from the blue line past Iowa goaltender Hunter Jones (35 saves) to make it 2-1.
The Wild held onto their lead despite a six-on-five push from the Stars with their net empty. Jones came up with several saves on point-blank chances in the last minute of regulation as the buzzer sounded with the final score standing at 2-1.
The Stars led in third period shots 11-9 for a final edge in total shots 36-23. The Wild scored on one of their three power play chances and killed off all six Texas power plays in the contest.
The two teams meet again on Friday, Apr. 2 at 7 p.m. at H-E-B Center in Cedar Park, TX.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 1, 2021
- Dallas Stars Sign Goaltender Adam Scheel to Two-Year, Entry-Level Contract - Texas Stars
- No Foolin': Mrazek Makes 43 Saves to Beat Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Mrazek, Wolves Reject Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Ben Thomas to Taxi Squad - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes - AHL
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Games in Colorado Postponed - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Annual Purple Game Returns Saturday Versus Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Laczynski and Sandin Recalled to Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Riley Damiani Named AHL Rookie of the Month - Texas Stars
- Benson and Marody Named Co-Winners of the CCM / AHL Player of the Month Award - Bakersfield Condors
- Benson, Marody, Damiani, Thompson Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for March - AHL
- Logan Thompson Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Henderson Silver Knights
- A Winning Experience for Ryan Poehling - Laval Rocket
- Stars Fall in Tight Game with Wild - Texas Stars
- Hex over Ontario Continues with Easy Win - San Diego Gulls
- Tucson Falls To Henderson 3-1, Manage 45 Shots On Goal And A Power-Play Score - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign No Match for Gulls Wednesday - Ontario Reign
- Make It Three Straight: Marlies Skate Past Heat 5-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Henderson Victorious, 3-1, in First Game against Tucson - Henderson Silver Knights
- Iowa Shuts Down Stars in 2-1 Win - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Minnesota Wild Announces Multi-Year Affiliation Agreement with Iowa Heartlanders
- Iowa Signs Goaltender Trevin Kozlowski to AHL Contract
- Defenseman Addison Earns AHL Central Division All-Star Team Honors
- Wild Donate 20,000 Meals to "Tame the Hunger" in Des Moines Public Schools
- Iowa Falls 3-2 to Texas in Season Finale