Intimidators Win 7-5 over Legends
A two-run single by Drew Garcia broke 5-5 tie in the eighth inning, and the Kannapolis Intimidators went on to beat the visiting Lexington Legends 7-5. The loss extended the Legends' losing streak to 10 games.
Lexington took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning on Jeff Hulett's two-run single. Kannapolis didn't score until the fourth inning against Lexington starter Robert Bono. Drew Garcia singled and scored on Jon Gilmore's double to cut the lead to 2-1.
Each team scored a run in the fifth inning to leave the score at 3-2. With two outs in the bottom of the sixth, Jared Mitchell walked against Lexington reliever Antonio Noguera. Josh Phegley and Eduardo Escobar followed with back-to-back home runs to put Kannapolis in front 5-3.
The Legends came back to tie it in the seventh. A walk to Albert Cartwright, a passed ball, an infield out and a single by Brandon Wikoff produced one run. Brian Pellegrini's single advanced Wikoff to third, from where he scored on Steve Brown's sacrifice fly to even the score at 5-5.
With the bases empty and two outs in the bottom of the eighth, Ryan Lee walked. He went to third on Kenny Williams' single. Williams took second on defensive indifference. Drew Garcia then hit a pop fly that dropped near the foul line in short left field, scoring two runs and giving the Intimidators a 7-5 lead.
Leroy Hunt (3-3) got the win. Kyle Godfrey (1-2) took the loss. The Legends move on to Greensboro to open a series Friday night. Game time is 7:05 p.m. --------------- Right-hander Matt Nevarez has been assigned to Lexington by the parent club, the Houston Astros. Nevarez was part of the trade that sent catcher Ivan Rodriguez from Houston to the Texas Rangers, where he started his major league career.
Nevarez, 22, had pitched in the South Atlantic League in 2009 with Hickory, a Rangers affiliate. He was 1-4 with nine saves and an earned run average of 2.83 in 34 games.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2009
- GreenJackets Sweep Sand Gnats in Thirsty Thursday Twinbill - Augusta GreenJackets
- Frias Leads Hagerstown Past Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Split Doubleheader, Series with Crawdads - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads and Drive split pair on Thursday - Hickory Crawdads
- Five Errors Haunt Power - West Virginia Power
- Intimdiators Sweep Legends, 7-5 - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Suns Shutout BlueClaws - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Intimidators Win 7-5 over Legends - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Win 7-3 to Split WV Series - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods Fall to Greensboro - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Charleston-Rome Suspended Due to Rain in Fifth Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- Braves and RiverDogs Suspended - Rome Braves
- Legends release 2010 schedule, will celebrate 10th year - Lexington Legends
- Hoppers Outlast Hot Rods For Second Straight Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- BlueClaws Unveil New Logo - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Maryland ballparks; unique and different - OSC Original by Marc Viquez
- Unemployment Night this Monday - Hickory Crawdads
- September 2nd Game Time Change - Augusta GreenJackets
- Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Next Friday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Minor to Start for Rome - Rome Braves
- Tourists Ready For "Baseball and Beers" This Saturday - Asheville Tourists
- Suns' bats quiet in loss to BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Lexington Legends Sign Former Cincinnati Reds Pitcher J.J. Hoover
- Lexington Legends Announce Inaugural Atlantic League Home Opener Roster
- Lexington Legends Sign Future MLB Hall of Famer Brandon Phillips
- Grammy Nominated Hip-Hop Artist Wiz Khalifa Set to Perform at Lexington Legends Ballpark
- Brandon Phillips Joins Shea Family Lexington Legends Ownership Group