Charleston-Rome Suspended Due to Rain in Fifth Inning
ROME, Ga.- Mother nature got the best of Thursday's South Atlantic League matchup between the Charleston RiverDogs and the Rome Braves, as rain caused the game to be suspended after a 34-minute rain delay with Rome leading Charleston 5-2 after four complete innings.
The completion of the suspended game will begin at 6 p.m. with the regularly scheduled game being shortened to seven innings and taking place 30 minutes afterwards.
Rome got to Charleston starter Brett Smith in the first inning for an early 2-0 lead on consecutive RBI from Adam Milligan and Luis Sumoza.
The Braves tacked on three more runs in the third inning against Smith for a 5-0 lead on an RBI from Milligan and RBI singles from Calvin Culver and Chais Fuller. Fuller's single scored Culver, who reached third base following an errant throw by Smith, who had Culver caught between first and second base.
Charleston bit into the deficit scoring twice in the top of the fourth making the score 5-2 on Addison Maruszak's sacrifice fly and Garrison Lassiter's RBI single.
After a 1-2-3 bottom of the fourth, the skies opened up, and the contest was officially suspended.
For the seven-inning game after the suspended contest, Charleston still pland to send right-hander Brandon Braboy (3-5, 4.32) to the hill, while the Rome Braves plan to pitch right-hander Randall Delgado (4-8, 4.29), whom the RiverDogs have defeated twice already this season.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2009
- GreenJackets Sweep Sand Gnats in Thirsty Thursday Twinbill - Augusta GreenJackets
- Frias Leads Hagerstown Past Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Split Doubleheader, Series with Crawdads - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads and Drive split pair on Thursday - Hickory Crawdads
- Five Errors Haunt Power - West Virginia Power
- Intimdiators Sweep Legends, 7-5 - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Suns Shutout BlueClaws - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Intimidators Win 7-5 over Legends - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Win 7-3 to Split WV Series - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods Fall to Greensboro - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Charleston-Rome Suspended Due to Rain in Fifth Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- Braves and RiverDogs Suspended - Rome Braves
- Legends release 2010 schedule, will celebrate 10th year - Lexington Legends
- Hoppers Outlast Hot Rods For Second Straight Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- BlueClaws Unveil New Logo - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Maryland ballparks; unique and different - OSC Original by Marc Viquez
- Unemployment Night this Monday - Hickory Crawdads
- September 2nd Game Time Change - Augusta GreenJackets
- Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Next Friday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Minor to Start for Rome - Rome Braves
- Tourists Ready For "Baseball and Beers" This Saturday - Asheville Tourists
- Suns' bats quiet in loss to BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Pull Away in Extra-Innings for 10-6 Win
- Fifth Annual 'Legends in the South' Rosters Announced
- RiverDogs Open Series with Rain-Shortened Win over Myrtle Beach
- Rays Promote Quartet of RiverDogs Standouts
- Sunday Doubleheader Postponed Due to Wet Field Conditions