Suns' bats quiet in loss to BlueClaws
LAKEWOOD, NJ - The Hagerstown Suns scored twice in the top of the fifth inning, but could not hold the lead in a 3-2 loss to the Lakewood BlueClaws on Wednesday.
With two outs in the top of the fifth inning, Hagerstown third baseman Nick Arata singled to center field, sparking a two-our rally that netted the Suns a 2-0 lead.
However, the lead was short-lived, as Lakewood responded with three runs of their own in the bottom of the fifth inning off Suns reliever Patrick Arnold.
Arnold (3-3) took the loss after replacing starter Juan Jaime in the fourth inning. Jaime pitched three shutout innings, but a high pitch count brought him out of the game prematurely. After Arnold worked a scoreless fourth, the right-hander allowed five hits, including three consecutive extra-base hits and three runs in the fifth.
After the fifth inning, the were shut down by the Lakewood bullpen.
Sanchez (9-6), who earned the victory with five and one third innings of work, gave way to Eryk McConnell with two on and only one out in the sixth inning. McConnell proceeded to strike out Robby Jacobsen and Arata, ending the Suns last real threat of the game.
Arata did single in the top of the ninth, his third of the game against Santo Hernandez, but Valerio Heredia struck out swinging to end the game.
Hernandez earned his third save of the season by striking out the side in his one inning of work.
The Suns and BlueClaws will play the second game of their three-game series on Thursday at 7:05 p.m.
The Hagerstown Suns play at Municipal Stadium in Hagerstown, MD and are a Class "A" affiliate of the Washington Nationals. Ticket packages and sponsorships are available by calling the Suns at 301-791-6266. Visit the Suns on the web at www.hagerstownsuns.com. The Suns are owned by Los Angeles based Mandalay Baseball Properties.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2009
- GreenJackets Sweep Sand Gnats in Thirsty Thursday Twinbill - Augusta GreenJackets
- Frias Leads Hagerstown Past Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Split Doubleheader, Series with Crawdads - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads and Drive split pair on Thursday - Hickory Crawdads
- Five Errors Haunt Power - West Virginia Power
- Intimdiators Sweep Legends, 7-5 - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Suns Shutout BlueClaws - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Intimidators Win 7-5 over Legends - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Win 7-3 to Split WV Series - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods Fall to Greensboro - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Charleston-Rome Suspended Due to Rain in Fifth Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- Braves and RiverDogs Suspended - Rome Braves
- Legends release 2010 schedule, will celebrate 10th year - Lexington Legends
- Hoppers Outlast Hot Rods For Second Straight Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- BlueClaws Unveil New Logo - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Maryland ballparks; unique and different - OSC Original by Marc Viquez
- Unemployment Night this Monday - Hickory Crawdads
- September 2nd Game Time Change - Augusta GreenJackets
- Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Next Friday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Minor to Start for Rome - Rome Braves
- Tourists Ready For "Baseball and Beers" This Saturday - Asheville Tourists
- Suns' bats quiet in loss to BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.