Intimdiators Sweep Legends, 7-5
KANNAPOLIS, NC - The Intimidators finished off their first home sweep of the season with a 7-5 win over the Lexington Legends on Thursday night at Fieldcrest Cannon Stadium.
Drew Garcia's two-out, two-RBI single down the leftfield line snapped a 5-5 tie in the bottom of the eighth inning. The hit was the final push in a back-and-forth game that saw each team lead by as many as two, only to see the opposition pull it back.
Lexington had rallied from down two in the top of the seventh off of Leroy Hunt on RBIs from Brandon Wikoff and Steve Brown. The two late runs did mean a win for Hunt (3-3), despite the blown save, and a no-decision for Charlie Leemsan, who was in search of his 13th win of the campaign.
Leesman exited with Kannapolis in front, 5-3, holding the Legends to three runs on seven hits in six innings. He also struck out four and walked two.
The Intimidators had taken their first lead of the game in the bottom of the sixth, courtesy a couple of two-out long balls. Josh Phegley hit his team-best eighth of the season off of Antonio Noguera to drive in two and put Kannapolis in front, before Eduardo Escobar hit his third home run of the season one pitch later.
Lexington led 2-0 after the top of the first, getting two runs on a single from Jeff Hulett.
The loss was the 10th in a row for the floundering Legends, while the win marked Kannapolis' sixth straight. The victory, coupled with West Virginia's 7-3 loss to Asheville, moved the Intimidators 3 ½ games clear of the second-place Power with 18 games remaining in the regular season.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2009
- GreenJackets Sweep Sand Gnats in Thirsty Thursday Twinbill - Augusta GreenJackets
- Frias Leads Hagerstown Past Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Split Doubleheader, Series with Crawdads - Greenville Drive
- Crawdads and Drive split pair on Thursday - Hickory Crawdads
- Five Errors Haunt Power - West Virginia Power
- Intimdiators Sweep Legends, 7-5 - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Suns Shutout BlueClaws - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Intimidators Win 7-5 over Legends - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Win 7-3 to Split WV Series - Asheville Tourists
- Hot Rods Fall to Greensboro - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Charleston-Rome Suspended Due to Rain in Fifth Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- Braves and RiverDogs Suspended - Rome Braves
- Legends release 2010 schedule, will celebrate 10th year - Lexington Legends
- Hoppers Outlast Hot Rods For Second Straight Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- BlueClaws Unveil New Logo - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Maryland ballparks; unique and different - OSC Original by Marc Viquez
- Unemployment Night this Monday - Hickory Crawdads
- September 2nd Game Time Change - Augusta GreenJackets
- Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Next Friday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Minor to Start for Rome - Rome Braves
- Tourists Ready For "Baseball and Beers" This Saturday - Asheville Tourists
- Suns' bats quiet in loss to BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- A.J. Gill: a Baseball Journey of Proving That He Belongs
- Cannon Baller Chronicle: Week 6
- Kannapolis Comes up Short in Sunday Afternoon Battle with Mudcats
- Eight Errors Loom Large for Ballers in 12-5 Loss to Mudcats Saturday
- Solesky's Quality Night Helps Guide Ballers to Third Straight Victory over Mudcats