THE WEEK AHEAD Wednesday, December 21st Inferno @ South Carolina Stingrays N. Char. Coliseum 7:05pm
The Inferno is 1-2-0 this season and 20-12-3 all-time against the Stingrays. This is the fourth of 10 games these two teams will play. The Stingrays are tied for sixth place in the South Division with 24 points, along with Augusta.
LAST WEEK Tuesday, December 13th Inferno 3 GLADIATORS 6
Gwinnett's Pascal Pelletier scored four goals to lead the Gladiators to a 6-3 win over the Columbia Inferno. Travis Lisabeth scored at 11:45 of the first period to tie the game with his third goal of the season. Leon Hayward and Jay Legault had the assists. Pelletier scored his first of the game at 17:14 on the power play to give the Gladiators a 2-1 lead at the end of one. Gwinnett went up 3-1 when Jeff Campbell scored the second power play goal at 3:37 of the second period. John Longo netted his fourth of the season from Nick Greenough and Jeff Smith at 11:01 to end the scoring for the second period. At 1:21 of the third period, Dave Bonk scored with help from Legault and Derek Eastman to tie the game at three a piece. Pelletier scored the next three goals, including an empty netter at the end of the game. The Gladiators outshot the Inferno 46-21. The Inferno went 0-for-5 on the power play and Gwinnett was 2-for-5 on the night.
Wednesday, December 14th Inferno 3 CHECKERS 4 (SO)
The Columbia Inferno gained one point in the South Division as the Charlotte Checkers win in a shootout 4-3. Charlotte jumped out to a 2-0 lead. Travis Lisabeth scored his first goal of the night at 14:32 of the second period with assists to Mike Stathopoulos and Derek Eastman on the power play. Just a minute later, Stathopoulos scored to tie the game at two with help from Lisabeth and Dave Bonk. Charlotte then went up 3-2 on a goal at 6:31 of the third period but Columbia's Lisabeth answered back on an unassisted breakaway goal at 7:54. After a scoreless overtime period, the Inferno loses in a shootout.
Friday, December 16th Inferno2 TOLEDO 3
The Inferno drop their third game in a row as the Toledo Storm takes the win, 3-2. It didn't take the Storm any time to get on the board as Jeff Doyle scored with 58 seconds into the game on a power play to open the scoring. Chanse Fitzpatrick scored at 10:44 of the second period as he scored from the crease with assists to Mike Stathopoulos and Chris Busby. Ken Magowan scored at 8:59 to increase Toledo's score to 2-1. Leon Hayward tied the game at 11:01 off of the face-off from John Longo. Toledo scored the game-winning goal only 16 seconds later at 11:17. Chris Houle started his 14th consecutive game between the pipes stopping 37 of 40 shots on goal. The Inferno went 0-for-2 on the power play and 7-for-9 on the penalty kill.
Saturday, December 17th INFERNO 4 Everblades 3 (OT)
The Columbia Inferno won a nail biter as they beat the Florida Everblades in overtime 4-3. Columbia score their first attempt at 1:56 with a goal by Chanse Fitzpatrick with set-up by Mike Stathopoulos and Dave Bonk. Nick Greenough scored his second goal of the season at 3:29 to give the Inferno a 2-0 fast lead. F.P. Guenette and John Longo had the assists. Florida tied the game at 6:48 and 8:31 with goals by John Ronan and Ernie Hartlieb. In the second period, Columbia went ahead 3-2 on a goal by Stathopoulos as he scored off of a rebound shot from Jeff Smith. Florida tied the game with six seconds left in the game with a goal by John Adams. Jeff Smith scored 1:13 into the over time period to give the Inferno the win.
Overall Record: 13-10-3 Position: 3rd place (29 points)
Weekly Record: 1-2-1 South Division
INFERNO NUMBERS Record: 13-10-3
Goals: 11 -Leon Hayward
Assists : 14 - Derek Eastman
Leading Scorer: 20 - Leon Hayward
Power Play: 14.5% (20th in ECHL)
Power Play Goals: 3 -Chris Cava, Leon Hayward
Penalty Kill: 83% (11th in ECHL)
Short Handed Goals: 1 - Mike Stathopoulos, Dave Bonk
Game Winning Goals: 2 - Leon Hayward, Jeff Smith
Penalty Minutes: 97 - Nick Greenough
Plus/Minus: +6 - Brandon Nolan, Chris Busby
Goaltending: Chris Houle, 9-9-2, 3.51 GAA, .901 save percentage
INFERNO HIGHLIGHTS Jeff Smith had the game-winning goal and one assist in his last game...John Longo has one assists in each of his last two games...Leon Hayward has two points (1g-1a) in his last two games...Chanse Fitzpatrick has one goal in each of his last two games...Mike Stathopolous has five points (2g-3a) in his last three games.
TRANSACTIONS 12/17/2005 Add MATT ROBINSON (G) emergency back-up goaltender
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 19, 2005
- Aces Wild - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Thunder enjoys week off after two losses to Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Players and Coach Visit Hospital - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Look Ahead to Final Week of 2005 - Bakersfield Condors
- Future Mississippi Players Watch - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Wranglers, Aces Mirror Each Other In West - ECHL
- South Carolina's Finnerty Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Lynx This Week - Augusta Lynx
- Boutin leads in Save Percentage - Johnstown Chiefs
- Rays Go Winless In Weather Shortened Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gulls Win Two of Three Last Week - San Diego Gulls
- Grrrowl Announce Make-Up Games - Greenville Grrrowl
- Condors Offer Christmas Trees To Needy Families - Bakersfield Condors
- Everblades Weekly Update - Florida Everblades
- Ryan Craig Makes NHL Debut - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- RoadRunners Weekly Update - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Nailers Weekly Update - Wheeling Nailers
- Wranglers Weekly Update - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ice Pilots on Two Game Winning Streak With Win vs Gwinnett - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Checkers Grab Seven of Eight Points for Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Shorthanded Titans Take Two out of Three - Trenton Devils
- Grizzlies Finish Week Strong - Utah Grizzlies
- Berkhoel Assigned to Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Craig Is 284th ECHL Player To Play In NHL - ECHL
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly Update - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Inferno Update - Columbia Inferno
- B2 Networks to Broadcast Florida College Hockey Classic - Florida Everblades
- Wires Lights Lamp in Roadrunners' 3-1 Win Over Bakersfield - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.