Checkers Grab Seven of Eight Points for Week
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Charlotte Checkers finished last week 3-0-1, grabbing 7-of-8 possible points. Wins against division-rivals Florida and Columbia helped Charlotte climb up the South Division standings to fourth place with 28 points over 24 games. The Checkers sit just three points behind division-leading Florida and only eight points separate first and last place in the South Division.
3-0-1, 7 pts
Columbia 3 @ Charlotte 4 - OT (shootout)
Florida 6 @ Charlotte 8
Charlotte 6 @ Augusta 5
Florida 4 @ Charlotte 3 - OT (shootout)
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 vs. Columbia, W, 4-3 (shootout) The Charlotte Checkers defeated the Columbia Inferno 4-3 in a shootout Wednesday night in front of 3,486 fans at St. Lawrence Homes Home Ice at Charlotte Bobcats Arena.
Mike Bayrack and Hugh Jessiman scored goals for the Checkers in the shootout as goalie Jeff Glass picked up the win stopping 4-of-the-5 Columbia shootout attempts.
Friday, December 16, 2005 vs. Florida, W, 8-6 The Charlotte Checkers scored eight goals against the South Division-leading Florida Everblades in front of 6,129 fans Friday night at St. Lawrence Homes Home Ice at Charlotte Bobcats Arena. Ryan Fultz scored a hat trick for the Checkers and was named the First Star of the game.
Saturday, December 17, 2005 @ Augusta, W, 6-5
For the second consecutive game the Charlotte Checkers left their defense behind and went for wins by out-scoring their opponents. And for the second consecutive game they were successful. The Checkers got a two-goal, two-assist performance from Mike Bayrack and came from behind to defeat the Augusta Lynx 6-5 Saturday night in Georgia. Checkers goalie Chris Holt earned his second win of the season in his fourth start with 26 saves.
Sunday, December 18, 2005 vs. Florida, L-OT (shootout), 3-4
The Florida Everblades edged the Charlotte Checkers 4-3 in a shootout Sunday in front of 4,190 fans at St. Lawrence Homes Home Ice at Charlotte Bobcats Arena. Bogdan Rudenko and Kevin Bergin each scored for Florida in the shootout, which went to a sixth shooter.
Bergin was named the First Star of the game after scoring a goal during the first period and in the shootout. Ernie Hartlieb also scored for the Everblades and was named the Second Star of the game. Charlotte's Mike Bayrack was named the Third Star of the game after a two-goal, one-assist performance.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 @ Johnstown Chiefs, 7:00 pm ET
Thursday, December 22, 2005 vs. Augusta Lynx, 7:00 pm ET
- Defenseman Rory Rawlyk continues to lead the Checkers in points with 23 (9g, 14a) and is fourth amongst defenseman in the league in points.
- The Checkers lead the league in home power play record scoring on 16-of 51 chances (31.4%).
- Ryan Fultz scored a hat trick in the Checkers win over Florida on December 16th.
Goals: Jessiman, Hugh (10)
Assists: Rawlyk, Rory (14)
Points: Rawlyk, Rory (23)
Plus/Minus: Ortmeyer, Jake (+5)
PIM: MacIntyre, Steve (84)
Wins: Glass, Jeff (3)
GAA: Glass, Jeff (2.90)
Save Pct.: Glass, Jeff (0.915)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 19, 2005
- Aces Wild - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Thunder enjoys week off after two losses to Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Players and Coach Visit Hospital - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Look Ahead to Final Week of 2005 - Bakersfield Condors
- Future Mississippi Players Watch - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Wranglers, Aces Mirror Each Other In West - ECHL
- South Carolina's Finnerty Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Lynx This Week - Augusta Lynx
- Boutin leads in Save Percentage - Johnstown Chiefs
- Rays Go Winless In Weather Shortened Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gulls Win Two of Three Last Week - San Diego Gulls
- Grrrowl Announce Make-Up Games - Greenville Grrrowl
- Condors Offer Christmas Trees To Needy Families - Bakersfield Condors
- Everblades Weekly Update - Florida Everblades
- Ryan Craig Makes NHL Debut - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- RoadRunners Weekly Update - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Nailers Weekly Update - Wheeling Nailers
- Wranglers Weekly Update - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ice Pilots on Two Game Winning Streak With Win vs Gwinnett - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Checkers Grab Seven of Eight Points for Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Shorthanded Titans Take Two out of Three - Trenton Devils
- Grizzlies Finish Week Strong - Utah Grizzlies
- Berkhoel Assigned to Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Craig Is 284th ECHL Player To Play In NHL - ECHL
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly Update - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Inferno Update - Columbia Inferno
- B2 Networks to Broadcast Florida College Hockey Classic - Florida Everblades
- Wires Lights Lamp in Roadrunners' 3-1 Win Over Bakersfield - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.