Craig Is 284th ECHL Player To Play In NHL
December 19, 2005 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - Former Pensacola Ice Pilots center Ryan Craig made his
National Hockey League debut with defending Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay
on Saturday becoming the 284th player to play in the NHL after playing in
the ECHL and the 28th former ECHL player to play his first NHL game in
The 23-year-old scored a goal to put the Lightning up 3-2 in the second
period against Detroit which won the game 6-3. Craig had three shots and
registered 9:52 of ice time on 15 shifts, including 49 seconds on the power
Selected in the eighth round (255th overall) by the Lightning in the 2002
NHL Entry Draft, the 6-foot-2 and 220-pound Craig began the season with
Springfield of the American Hockey League where he had 22 points (12g-10a)
in 28 games.
The native of Abbotsford, British Columbia began his professional career
with Pensacola in 2003-04 and scored eight points (3g-5a) in five games
before being called up to Hershey of the AHL where he scored 12 points
(4g-8a) in 61 games. He returned to the Ice Pilots for the Kelly Cup
Playoffs and had an assist in two games before joining the Lightning with
whom he practiced and traveled throughout the run to the Stanley Cup. In
his second professional season in 2004-05, he led Springfield with 27 goals
and 41 points in 80 games.
The Premier 'AA' Hockey League has affiliations with 25 of the 30 teams in
the NHL and more than 100 players on ECHL rosters are under contract to an
NHL team. There is one head coach, 12 assistant coaches, 13 referees and
five linesmen currently in the NHL with ECHL experience. Chris Holt
(Charlotte and New York Rangers) and Mike Morrison (Greenville and
Edmonton) have played in both the ECHL and the NHL this season and Chris
Beckford-Tseu was called up to St. Louis following Alaska's game on Friday
and served as the backup goaltender for the Blues on Saturday.
Former ECHL goaltenders have won the NHL Defensive Player of the Week four
times with Tomas Vokoun, Wheeling and Nashville (Dec. 5), Morrison,
Greenville and Edmonton (Nov. 28), Curtis Sanford, Peoria and St. Louis
(Nov. 21) and Manny Legace, Richmond and Detroit (Nov. 1).
There have been 28 players in 2005-06 that have made their first NHL
appearance since playing in the ECHL: Evgeny Artyukhin (Tampa Bay on
Oct. 20), Adam Berkhoel (Atlanta on Oct. 15), Derek Boogaard
(Minnesota on Oct. 5), Kevin Colley (New York Islanders on Oct. 27),
Ryan Craig (Tampa Bay on Dec. 17), Brian Eklund (Tampa Bay
on Nov. 8), Michael Garnett (Atlanta on Oct. 12), Trevor
Gillies (Anaheim on Nov. 6), Steven Goertzen (Columbus on Oct.
21), Jeff Giuliano (Los Angeles on Nov. 5), Josh Gratton
(Philadelphia on Dec. 15), Timo Helbling (Tampa Bay on Oct. 5),
Colin Hemingway (St. Louis on Oct. 19), Chris Holt (New York
Rangers on Dec. 3), Raitis Ivanans (Montreal on Oct. 8), Greg
Jacina (Florida on Nov. 12), Zenon Konopka (Anaheim on Oct.
30), Chad LaRose (Carolina on Dec. 6), Jay Leach (Boston on
Nov. 5), Rob McVicar (Vancouver on Dec. 1), Mike Morrison
(Edmonton on Nov. 7), Michel Ouellet (Pittsburgh on Nov. 22),
George Parros (Los Angeles on Oct. 5), Geoff Platt (Columbus
on Dec. 2), Nolan Schaefer (San Jose on Oct. 26), Martin St.
Pierre (Chicago on Nov. 4), Grant Stevenson (San Jose on Nov.
23) and Mark Streit (Montreal on Oct. 8).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 19, 2005
- Aces Wild - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Thunder enjoys week off after two losses to Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Players and Coach Visit Hospital - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Look Ahead to Final Week of 2005 - Bakersfield Condors
- Future Mississippi Players Watch - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Wranglers, Aces Mirror Each Other In West - ECHL
- South Carolina's Finnerty Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Lynx This Week - Augusta Lynx
- Boutin leads in Save Percentage - Johnstown Chiefs
- Rays Go Winless In Weather Shortened Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gulls Win Two of Three Last Week - San Diego Gulls
- Grrrowl Announce Make-Up Games - Greenville Grrrowl
- Condors Offer Christmas Trees To Needy Families - Bakersfield Condors
- Everblades Weekly Update - Florida Everblades
- Ryan Craig Makes NHL Debut - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- RoadRunners Weekly Update - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Nailers Weekly Update - Wheeling Nailers
- Wranglers Weekly Update - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ice Pilots on Two Game Winning Streak With Win vs Gwinnett - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Checkers Grab Seven of Eight Points for Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Shorthanded Titans Take Two out of Three - Trenton Devils
- Grizzlies Finish Week Strong - Utah Grizzlies
- Berkhoel Assigned to Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Craig Is 284th ECHL Player To Play In NHL - ECHL
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly Update - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Inferno Update - Columbia Inferno
- B2 Networks to Broadcast Florida College Hockey Classic - Florida Everblades
- Wires Lights Lamp in Roadrunners' 3-1 Win Over Bakersfield - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.