Steelheads weekly update
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads have an impressive .696 winning percentage, but it's not enough to claim top spot in the West Division with two red-hot teams in front of them. Both Alaska and Las Vegas are 9-0-1 in their last ten games, while Idaho's record is 5-3-2. The Steelheads are 7-2-1 on the road, so they'll be looking to gain ground over the two games this week in Phoenix.
Idaho will return home for three games against San Diego next week...including a New Year's Eve tilt (Thursday, December 29th, Friday, December 30th, and Saturday December 31st).
Steelheads head coach Derek Laxdal announced five player transactions today:
- Goaltender Steve Silverthorn has been reassigned to Idaho from Iowa (AHL);
- Defenseman Mike Gabinet has been taken off the 30-day IR (The L.A. Kings draft pick, Gabinet, began the season on the injured reserve list and has not yet played a game this season.);
- Defenseman Jim Hakewill and Left Wing Matt Reid were both placed on the 7-day IR (effective 12/18/05);
- Emergency goaltender T.R. Kirkman was released from Idaho's roster.
NATIONAL CONFERENCE, WEST DIVISION STANDINGS
WEST GP W L T PTS PCT
Alaska 24 18 3 3 39 .813
Las Vegas 24 18 4 2 38 .792
Idaho 23 15 6 2 32 .696
Utah 25 14 9 2 30 .600
Victoria 27 10 16 1 21 .389
Phoenix 24 9 13 2 20 .417
IDAHO STEELHEADS AT A GLANCE
LAST WEEK'S GAME RESULTS:
Fri., 12/16 vs Utah: W6-3
Sat., 12/17 vs Utah: OTL5-6
Wed., 12/21 @ Phoenix
Thu., 12/22 @ Phoenix
The Idaho Steelheads and their Booster Club hosted the annual US Marine Corp Teddy Bear Toss on Saturday night. In keeping with tradition, fans threw hundreds of stuffed animals on the ice after the Steelheads scored their first goal. In addition, the event raised over $1,000 in proceeds from the sale of toys at the game.
Boys from The Idaho Youth Ranch, Discovery House in Nampa raised money at the Steelheads game by selling raffle tickets to fans on Saturday night. $1002.00 was raised and the money will be used to buy Christmas presents for three families in need.
- On Saturday, 12/17, the Steelheads lost for the first time this season when scoring more than 3 GF (13-0-1) and when leading after 2 periods (13-0-1)
- The Steelheads are embarking on a seven-game stretch in the next 11 days, including four straight on the road
- The Steelheads have scored at least five goals in three straight games, and five of their last 10 matches
- The Steelheads have allowed at least four goals, seven times this season, five of which have come in the last 10 contests
- Garett Bembridge has at least one goal in three straight games and is leading the league in scoring with 35 points (18g, 17a)
- Matt Yeats has given up at least 3 goals in five consecutive appearances
- Justin Cox has at least one assist in his last three games (4 total)
- David Bararuk has at least one point in every home game he's played in (17 pts. in 10 Qwest Arena contests)
The Steelheads practice Tuesday at IceWorld at 10:00 am before leaving for Phoenix. All practices are free and open to the public and media.
I WANNA GO TO THE GAME:
Tickets for Steelheads home games are available at the Qwest Arena Box Office, by visiting any Select-A-Seat outlet, by calling 331-TIXS (8497), or through the Steelheads website by logging on to www.idahosteelheads.com. Season tickets, Flex-Plans and Mini-Plans are also available by calling (208) 383-0080.
Join "Voice of the Steelheads," Joe O'Donnell, on ESPN 1350 KTIK every night from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. for the Bud Light Sports Talk Show. Stay tuned on game nights as Joe will bring fans play-by-play live action for all 72 games; Color Commentators Mark Broz and John MacMillan join Joe for home games. Games can be heard via the Internet through the Steelheads website, www.idahosteelheads. or by logging on to www.ktik.com. Games can also be watched live through a Webcast ($6 per view) - link available from the Steelheads Website.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 19, 2005
- Aces Wild - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Thunder enjoys week off after two losses to Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Players and Coach Visit Hospital - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Look Ahead to Final Week of 2005 - Bakersfield Condors
- Future Mississippi Players Watch - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Wranglers, Aces Mirror Each Other In West - ECHL
- South Carolina's Finnerty Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Lynx This Week - Augusta Lynx
- Boutin leads in Save Percentage - Johnstown Chiefs
- Rays Go Winless In Weather Shortened Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gulls Win Two of Three Last Week - San Diego Gulls
- Grrrowl Announce Make-Up Games - Greenville Grrrowl
- Condors Offer Christmas Trees To Needy Families - Bakersfield Condors
- Everblades Weekly Update - Florida Everblades
- Ryan Craig Makes NHL Debut - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- RoadRunners Weekly Update - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Nailers Weekly Update - Wheeling Nailers
- Wranglers Weekly Update - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ice Pilots on Two Game Winning Streak With Win vs Gwinnett - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Checkers Grab Seven of Eight Points for Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Shorthanded Titans Take Two out of Three - Trenton Devils
- Grizzlies Finish Week Strong - Utah Grizzlies
- Berkhoel Assigned to Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Craig Is 284th ECHL Player To Play In NHL - ECHL
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly Update - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Inferno Update - Columbia Inferno
- B2 Networks to Broadcast Florida College Hockey Classic - Florida Everblades
- Wires Lights Lamp in Roadrunners' 3-1 Win Over Bakersfield - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Season Ends in Game 6, Falling 3-1 to Oilers
- Steelheads Game 6 & 7 Watch Party this Sunday & Monday
- Steelheads Surge Late to Force Game 6 with 3-1 Win over Oilers
- Steelheads Game 5 Tickets for Friday on Sale Now
- Steelheads Extend Postseason, Force Game 5 with 4-2 Win over Oilers