Hållander, Penguins Deck Checkers in Overtime, 3-2
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins scored late in regulation and then again late in overtime to defeat the Charlotte Checkers, 3-2, on Tuesday night at BoJangles' Coliseum.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (8-6-0-2) weathered an early storm by its opponent and erased a pair of two-goal deficits before Filip Hållander scored with 19.2 seconds left in OT.
The Penguins were out-shooting the Checkers, 5-1, during a breakneck extra frame, but it took until their sixth shot to secure the win. Pierre-Olivier Joseph rushed up ice and delivered a drop pass to Hållander, who ripped a laser from the high slot past Checkers goalie Joey Daccord.
Charlotte opened the scoring at 12:25 of the first period. After blitzing the Penguins with pressure for most of the opening frame, Grigori Denisenko finally solved Louis Domingue to put the Checkers ahead.
The Penguins eventually got on the board with a power-play goal 4:40 into the middle frame. Michael Chaput broke loose for a breakaway and buried his one-on-one chance against Daccord.
The Checkers responded less than five minutes later, as a one-timer by Chase Priskie put Charlotte back on top, 2-1.
With time dwindling away in the third period, Chaput set up Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's equalizer with five minutes left in regulation. Chaput fed a puck between the hashmarks to Kyle Olson, who slammed a one-timer to the back of the net.
Although he wasn't tested much in overtime, Domingue made several sparkling saves to help his team get the game to the extra period. The Penguins' netminder denied 33 shots in the win, while Daccord turned aside 34 shots in the loss.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and the Checkers will do battle at the same place, same time tomorrow, Wednesday, Nov. 24. Puck drop for the rematch between the Penguins and Checkers is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. at BoJangles' Coliseum. The Penguins return home on Saturday, Nov. 27 to face-off against the Providence Bruins for Hockey Fights Cancer night. Game time is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
After the game, fans are invited to partake in painting a message on the ice in remembrance or support of someone who has or is fighting cancer.
Individual game tickets and season-ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are on sale now. Full-Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2021
- Hållander, Penguins Deck Checkers in Overtime, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Stumble Late in OT Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals to Host Food Drive Wednesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Host 23rd Annual Teddy Bear Toss on Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Bears Weekly #6: Trio of Games Forthcoming During Thanksgiving Week - Hershey Bears
- Eagles Recall Miska from ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Gillies and Lappin Join Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Capitals Re-Assign Axel Jonsson-Fjallby to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Olivier Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly Ã¢ÂÂ Vol. 28, No. 6 - Syracuse Crunch
- Senators Looking for Fans to Take Part in Second Kids Day Game - Belleville Senators
- Two Minutes for Thoughts: November 23rd, 2021 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Moose Assign Shaw and Lynch to ECHL - Manitoba Moose
- San Diego Gulls Announce 2021-22 Television Schedule - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Set to Battle Milwaukee, Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Recall DeLeo, Reassign Holtz to Comets - Utica Comets
- Justin Almeida and Will Reilly Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Thunderbirds Sign D Michael Kim to PTO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Belleville Senators Acquire Jack Dougherty from Providence - Belleville Senators
- Tucson Roadrunners Road Ahead: Abbotsford Is Arriving - Tucson Roadrunners
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 6 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Reign Snap Stockton's Streak with Big Third - Ontario Reign
- Point Streak Snapped as Heat, Reign Split Two-Game Set - Stockton Heat
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.