Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville
(Bowling Green) - Kyeong Kang hit a three-run homer in the first and Mike Sheridan smacked a two-run bomb in the third to lead the Hot Rods to a 6-1 triumph over the Greenville Drive at Bowling Green Ballpark. The win is the Hot Rods fourth in a row following their weekend sweep of the Asheville Drive. They remain five games behind the first-place Charleston RiverDogs, who won their fourth straight by beating Rome 6-3.
The Hot Rods wasted little time jumping out to another lead, the fourth time in this winning streak that they've score in the first inning. Justin Reynolds and SAL All-Star Tim Beckham both reached before Jake Jefferies fouled out to first base. With one out clean-up hitter Kyeong Kang hit an 0-2 change-up over the wall in right field for his first homer of the season, a three-run shot to give the Hot Rods a 3-0 lead. Kang's first homer is his 12th extra-base hit to go along with eight doubles and three triples. He also picked up his 11th, 12th, and 13th RBI on the swing.
Two innings later, the Hot Rods racked up another three-run inning. With one out, Tim Beckham walked, stole second, and then scored on a single to left-center field by Jefferies, pushing the lead to 4-0 on Jefferies' 31st RBI. Two batters later Mike Sheridan delivered his team-leading seventh homer, a laser into the Greenville bullpen that sent relievers scatting as the Hot Rods built a 6-1 lead. The Hot Rods have now scored three runs in five of their last 17 innings, going back to Sunday's win over Asheville.
The early lead made it an easy night for starter Chris Andujar. On the day he was named a South Atlantic League All-Star with Tim Beckham, Andujar put together his best start of the season, throwing six innings of one-run, one-hit ball. The lone hit was a one-out solo homer in the second by Greenville's Kade Keowen. Andujar (7-2) would strikeout four while walking three to win his seventh game of the season, moving him into a tie for the league-lead with Rome's Zeke Spruill and Lakewood's Jon Velasquez.
The Hot Rods bullpen shut down the Drive over the final three innings, as Tyree Hayes (2 IP) and Marques Fleming (1 IP) combined for three shutout innings to keep the one-hitter intact.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020
- Hot Rods Release 2020 Home Game Times
- Hot Rods Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Hot Rods and Legends Announce 2020 Exhibition in Lexington, KY