Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad
Augusta, GA - The Augusta GreenJackets will have three representatives at the 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Game in Charleston, WV on June 23rd. Relief ace Daniel Runzler, infielder/outfielder Juan Perez and trainer LJ Petra will represent the GreenJackets at the All-Star Game later this month.
Runzler, who was promoted to San Jose in the California League earlier today and will not participate in the game, emerged as the team's closer during the first month of the season. At the time of his promotion, Runzler was a perfect 11 for 11 in save opportunities this season and was second in the league in the category. His 45 strikeouts were second-most on the team.
Perez came into his own during the month of May. He hit .333 in May with nine doubles, four home runs. 17 of his 22 runs batted in came during May as well.
Petra is in his first year with both the GreenJackets and the San Francisco Giants organization. Previously, he worked with the Orioles and Red Sox organizations.
All three were selected by either their peers in the league, coaches and media members for the respective teams in the league, or by Southern Division manager Kevin Boles of the Greenville Drive.
The three All-Stars will be recognized prior to tonight's home game against the Savannah Sand Gnats, the final game in the three-game series and homestand. The game can be heard on the radio at 1630 AM WRDW and online at www.greenjacketsbaseball.com. First pitch is 7:05 p.m. with pregame coverage beginning at 6:50. You may purchase seats to tonight's game and every home game by calling 706-922-WINS or online at www.greenjacketsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- Tostado Walk-Off Single Beats Rome, But Lexington Wins 1st-Half Title
- Rome Plays Spoiler as Jackets Fall 3-2
- GreenJackets Win 10-Inning Thriller at SRP Park
- Series Opener Goes to Rome, Jackets Fall One-Game Back of 1st Place
- Kip Bouknight to Make Appearance at SRP Park