Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods
Bowling Green, KY - The Drive (31-25) offense was hard to find Monday night in Bowling Green, as they managed just one hit and one run in a 6-1 series opening loss to the Hot Rods (29-28).
The Hot Rods jumped out to a three-run lead in the bottom of the fist as Kyeong Kang belted his fourth homer of the season, with two aboard, off Brock Huntzinger (3-3). Two innings later Huntzinger was victimized by the long ball again, as Michael Sheridan blasted a two-run homer. Jake Jeffries added an RBI-single.
With one swing of the bat in the top of the second, Kade Keowen accounted for the Drive's only offense of the game with his sixth home run of the season. It would be the only hit, and the only run Greenville recorded in the game.
From the fourth inning on, the game became a pitchers' duel as neither team scored another run. Huntzinger combined with reliever Felix Ventura to limit the Hot Rods to just two singles over the final six innings.
However, Bowling Green's Chris Andujar (7-2), Tyree Hayes, and Marquis Fleming walked three over the final six innings for the only base runners.
The Drive and Hot Rods continue their three-game series on Tuesday night with first pitch set for 7:05 PM at Bowling Green Ballpark. Right-hander Hunter Strickland (2-4, 3.23 ERA) heads to the mound for Greenville as Bowling Green counters with lefty Frank De Los Santos (3-4, 4.07 ERA)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.