Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory
Augusta, GA -Andrew Reichard tossed six shutout innings in his first start of the year to lead the Augusta GreenJackets to a 7-2 victory over the Savannah Sand Gnats and a three-game series sweep, the second of the year for the Jackets.
Reichard (2-2) allowed just two hits in an impressive rotation debut for Augusta after nine relief appearances for the GreenJackets. He struck out two and didn't walk anyone.
The Jackets scored early for Reichard with a Juan Perez sacrifice fly in the first. Ben Woodbury scored on a wild pitch in the fifth to grow the lead to 2-0. Reichard's pitching held the slim lead up until the Jackets offense got moving in the seventh with help from a sloppy Savannah defense.
The Gnats committed two of the three errors on the night in the seventh with a walk and two wild pitches thrown in as well. Dom Duggan scored on one of the wild pitches while Josh Mazzola singled in a pair and Ehire Adrianza brought the crowd a huge thrill with a two-run, inside-the-park home run to cap the five-run attack.
The Gnats added two in the ninth on a Jefry Marte solo home run and an RBI double by Matt Gaski off Mitch Lively. Trey Webb relieved and picked up the final two outs to seal the win. Lively, in his GreenJackets debut, fired two perfect innings of relief before being lifted after the ninth inning runs.
Savannah starter Robert Carson (3-4) was tagged with the loss after allowing two runs - one earned - on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts in five innings.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.