Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team
Greensboro, NC - South Atlantic League President Eric Krupa announced four Greensboro Grasshoppers representatives will participate in the 2009 All-Star Jamboree festivities.
Pitchers Pete Andrelczyk and Johnny Dorn along with corner-infielders Ben Lasater and Paul Gran were selected to the All-Star team by SAL managers, coaches, general managers, and media representatives.
Pete Andrelczyk, a second-year Grasshopper, has proven himself as a dominant closer during the first half of the season. Andrelczyk remains perfect in save opportunities thus far, and remains tied for second in the Sally League with 11 saves. His 45 strikeouts are good for second on the staff, despite throwing 30 innings less than the club's leader.
Right-hander Johnny Dorn has enjoyed his own success on the mound in the first half of the season, posting a team-high six wins along with a 3.11 ERA. Dorn's 43 strikeouts ranks third on the club, while his 63.2 innings pitched is tops on the staff.
First basemen Ben Lasater is excelling in his first full season in Greensboro after belting seven home runs in limited action during the 2008 campaign. Lasater garnered Marlins' Minor Leaguer of the Month honors for April after a .410 clip with five home runs and 18 RBIs. He currently ranks in the top five in all but one of the team's offensive categories, and leads the South Atlantic League in doubles and extra-base hits.
Paul Gran, the Grasshoppers' iron man, has appeared in 53 of the 56 contests thus far. He is currently hitting .272 and ranks third on the team in on-base percentage. Gran's 27 walks are tops on the team while his 53 hits are good for second. Gran has connected on two home runs in the first half, and falls behind only Lasater in the doubles category.
Both Lasater and Gran were selected as starters for the contest, with Lasater appearing at first-base and Gran at third-base.
The All-Star festivities, hosted by the West Virginia Power at Appalachian Power Park, kick off Tuesday June 23rd at 6 p.m. with the home run derby. The All-Star game immediately follows, with first pitch scheduled for 7:35 p.m.
The Grasshoppers finished the 2008 season with an attendance of 440,787 and have welcomed over 1,715,000 fans to NewBridge Bank Park, drawing over 400,000 fans in each of its first four years at the new downtown ballpark. The team is the proud recipient of both the South Atlantic League's Club Merit Award and the General Manager of the Year Award for the past four years.
Tickets and group packages are now on sale for the 2009 season. For more information, please contact the Grasshoppers office at 336.268.BALL or visit www.gsohoppers.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Grasshoppers Stories
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Will Carry on Despite Elimination
- Bill on Baseball: Ogle's New Role Clinches Hoppers' Win
- Bill on Baseball: Kaiser Returns in a Big Way for Hoppers
- Bill on Baseball: No Dramatics, But Hoppers Find a Way
- Bill on Baseball: Martin's Walk-Offs Wreck BlueClaws