Suns Blanked by BlueClaws
LAKEWOOD, NJ - The Hagerstown Suns (24-28) were shutout 3-0 by the Lakewood BlueClaws (33-22) on Monday at FirstEnergy Park in Lakewood, NJ.
Jon Velasquez (8-2) pitched seven innings for the BlueClaws, allowing just one base hit and one walk while striking out six Suns hitters. Velasquez picked up the win in his longest outing of the season.
Jack McGeary (0-5) started the game for the Suns and took the loss after allowing three earned runs in four and one third innings of work. The left-hander allowed six hits, including three doubles, and walked two batters while striking out only one Lakewood hitter.
The BlueClaws got off to a good start when Anthony Gose was hit by a pitch with one out, stole second and was driven in on a double by left fielder Scott Susdorf. Lakewood doubled their lead in the bottom of the third as shortstop Troy Hanzawa led off the inning with a double to left field, and two batters later Gose, the BlueClaw's centerfielder, hit a double of his own scoring in Hanzawa.
The final run of the game came in the bottom of the fifth inning when a walk, a fielder's choice and two singles made the game 3-0.
Gose stole two bases in the game, driving his season total to a Minor League best 39.
The Suns bullpen pitched well as Kevin Light, Carlos Peralta and Osvaldo Rodriguez combined to pitch three and one third scoreless innings.
Hagerstown threatened late in the game, bringing the tying run to the plate in both the eighth and ninth innings, but the Lakewood bullpen held firm, and BJ Rosenburg earned his eighth save of the season with an inning and one third of scoreless relief.
The Suns and BlueClaws will play the second game of their four-game series on Tuesday at 7:05 at FirstEnergy Park. Matt Chico, the Washington Nationals Opening Day starter in 2008, will start the game for the Suns in a rehab appearance.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.