2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced
Rome, GA - The 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star teams have been announced and the Rome Braves will be sending three players to this year's event in Charleston, West Virginia.
Pitcher Zeke Spruill, catcher Jesus Sucre, and outfielder Luis Sumoza will represent the Braves on June 23rd. Spruill has enjoyed an outstanding first half going 7-2 with a 3.17 ERA and is among the league leaders in wins and innings pitched. Jesus Sucre has impressed as well both defensively and offensively with a .325 average which leads the team. Outfielder Luis Sumoza is hitting .270 and leads the team in hits and doubles.
"We are extremely honored for these players," says Rome General Manager Michael Dunn. "They are a great representation of the Braves organization as well as the city of Rome." The 50th annual All-Star game will be played at Appalachian Power Park, the home of the West Virginia Power serving as the host club The Northern and Southern Division squads are comprised of 25 players with representatives from each team in the league.
The Braves continue their road trip tonight in Charleston. The team returns home on Friday June 12th to begin a six game home stand. For ticket information call the Rome Braves ticket office at 706-378-5144 or purchase tickets online at wwww.romebraves.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.