Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars
HICKORY, N.C. - The South Atlantic League announced on Monday the rosters for the 50th Annual SAL All-Star Game, and the Hickory Crawdads will be represented by six players, which ties for the most in the league. RF Mike Bianucci, C Doug Hogan, INF Erik Morrison, LHP Yoon-Hee Nam, CF David Paisano and RHP Martin Perez were all selected to the Northern Division squad.
RF Mike Bianucci was voted as the starting right fielder for the Northern Division team. Following the Crawdads game on Monday afternoon, Bianucci leads the league with a .347 batting average and is tied for third in both home runs (10) and RBIs (34). He also leads the league with a .642 slugging percentage, and is second with 30 extra-base hits, third with 18 doubles and fifth with a .405 on-base percentage. Bianucci was named the South Atlantic League Player of the Week for the week of April 8 - 19 and set a Crawdads record with six hits in Asheville on April 17.
Hogan, currently on the disabled list, is second on the team and tied for second among the league's catchers with seven home runs. He also ranks second on the team with 24 RBIs. Hogan has posted a .993 fielding percentage behind the plate, with only two errors committed in 279 total chances.
Morrison leads all SAL first basemen with a .345 average and 1.025 OPS. In just 33 games, he has compiled 41 hits and leads the team with a .412 OBP, which would be tied for fourth in the league if he had more at-bats per team game to qualify.
Paisano, also currently on the disabled list, is second among Northern Division center fielders with a .306 batting average and third with 17 RBIs. In 38 games, he has compiled 48 hits and scored 23 runs while leading the team with eight stolen bases. Paisano was named the Texas Rangers Organizational Defender of the Month for April for his errorless play in center field during the month.
Nam led all South Atlantic League pitchers with a 0.72 ERA in the month of May and leads the team with five wins and a 0.64 ERA this season. He has registered 42 strikeouts in 42 innings this season, while only allowing three earned runs (five overall) on just 15 hits, compiling a 0.67 WHIP.
Perez has made 11 appearances and six starts this season, posting a 2-3 record with a 2.70 ERA. He has struck out a team-high 57 batters in 50 innings, only surrendering 18 runs (15 earned) on 44 hits with 16 walks.
"These guys have played hard all season long and have been very consistent for us," said Crawdads Field Manager Hector Ortiz. "I'm very happy that they've been selected to the All-Star team. I think it's a good opportunity for them and good recognition that they deserve." The All-Star Game is scheduled to be played on June 23 at Appalachian Power Park in Charleston, West Virginia. Crawdads Clippings: The Crawdads homestand continues, as the Kannapolis Intimidators come to town on Tuesday and Wednesday night. Tuesday is a KRAFT Singles Night at the ballpark and also features All-You-Can-Eat tickets for only $13! All kids in attendance on Wednesday evening can run the bases like the pros after the game! Gates open at 6 p.m., first pitch is at 7 p.m. both nights.
Get Tickets: Single game tickets for all Crawdads games are on sale now at the Crawdads Ticket Office and online at www.hickorycrawdads.com and start at just $6! Season tickets, mini-plans and group outings are available at the Crawdads office, located at 2500 Clement Blvd. NW or by calling 322-3000.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.