Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game
Four members of the Asheville Tourists have been named to the South Atlantic League's Southern Division All-Star team, which will meet the Northern Division on Tuesday, June 23, 2009, at Appalachian Power Park in Charleston, West Virginia. The contest will mark the 50th anniversary of the annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game.
Catcher Jordan Pacheco and center fielder Scott Robinson were named starters to the Southern Division squad. Jimmy Cesario was tabbed as a utility infielder on the team, while Christian Friedrich was selected to the pitching staff.
Pacheco and Robinson have been two of the most consistent players in manager Joe Mikulik's lineup. Pacheco enters Monday's game at Lexington with a .328 batting average, five home runs and 28 RBIs while providing steady defense behind the plate. Robinson has been one of the batting order's primary tablesetters by hitting at a .318 clip and leading the Tourists with 18 stolen bases and 35 runs scored. Cesario, who has played at least 10 games at first base, second base and third base, owns a .304 batting average with three homers, 26 RBIs and eight steals.
Friedrich, who was the Colorado Rockies' first-round draft pick in 2008, has been promoted to Advanced A Modesto since the balloting concluded. Friedrich went 3-3 with a 2.18 ERA in eight starts with Asheville and will not participate in the SAL All-Star Game.
The all-star rosters consist of 27 players for each of the two teams and were determined via ballots distributed to the 16 teams' coaching staffs, front office personnel and local media.
"Once again, the talent that will be showcased in this game will be tremendous," said SAL president Eric Krupa. "The expectations of the fans are high, and I believe they will have a fun time during this exciting event."
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.