Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Jon Velasquez pitched a gem, aiding the Lakewood BlueClaws to their fourth shutout of the season and a 3-0 victory against the Hagerstown Suns, maintaining their lead atop the standings.
The BlueClaws (33-22) got on the board in the game's first inning as Anthony Gose was put on base with a hit by pitch, before stealing second base to get in scoring position. With two outs, Steve Susdorf doubled to the gap in right field, bringing home Gose and giving the BlueClaws all the runs they would need in the game against the Suns (24-28).
The BlueClaws added a run in the third inning as Troy Hanzawa led off the inning with a double and later scored as Gose hit a double to right field to make it 2-0.
In the fifth inning, the BlueClaws added a run of insurance as Susdof grabbed his second RBI of the day, driving in Gose with a single to the opposite field.
Velasquez (8-2) was brilliant in his seven innings of work on Monday as he allowed just one hit and one walk while striking out six and not allowing a run. The win is his eighth and it keeps him in first place in that category in the South Atlantic League. Rob Roth, in his first action since being placed on the disabled list on April 28th, pitched two outs in the eighth, before walking two batters and taken out for BJ Rosenberg who ended the inning. Rosenberg pitched the ninth and picked up his eighth save.
Jack McGeary (0-5) was in search of his first win of the season, and didn't pitch poorly despite picking up the loss. He went into the fifth and allowed one run in each of three innings. He was relieved by Kevin Light and Carlos Peralta who kept the Suns in the game as they did not allow a run. Osvaldo Rodriguez also pitched a clean eighth to keep the game close.
With the win, the BlueClaws remain at least 2.5 games ahead in the South Atlantic League Northern Division, potentially more, with just 15 games remaining on their first half schedule.
The BlueClaws will continue their four-game series on Tuesday at 7:05pm as they will send All-Star pitcher Tyler Cloyd (6-2) to the mound. Cloyd has won five straight decisions. He will be opposed by Major League pitcher Matt Chico (0-0), who will be pitching on a rehab assignment with the Suns. Chico was the opening day starter for the Washington Nationals in 2008 and has made 39 starts for the Nationals.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2009
- Suns Blanked by BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Falls 6-1 to Hot Rods - Greenville Drive
- Hot Rods Too Hot for Greenville - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Legends Rally But Fall Short, 4-2 - Lexington Legends
- Charleston Sweeps Rome with 6-3 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jackets Sweep Gnats with 7-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shutout Pitching Paces BlueClaws in Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters For 50th Annual All-Star Game - SAL
- 2009 All-Star Team Selections Announced - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Kelly Cup-Winning South Carolina Stingrays Tuesday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matt Moore named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Crawdads tie for league-high with six All-Stars - Hickory Crawdads
- Grasshoppers Land Four on All-Star Team - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Three Legends, pitching coach Taylor named to SAL Southern Division All-Stars - Lexington Legends
- Four Tourists Named To SAL All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Sextet of RiverDogs Selected for 50th SAL All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kuhn, Remenowsky selected to SAL Northern Division All Star Team - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Eight Drive Members Named to 2009 South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Greenville Drive
- Three GreenJackets Named to All-Star Squad - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grasshoppers take 3-1 win from Crawdads - Hickory Crawdads
- Wathan to Manage Six BlueClaws in SAL All-Star Game - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kuhn named South Atlantic Player of the Week - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Comeback Claws Rally for Four in Ninth, Win 7-5 in 11 on Friday
- Comeback Claws Score Three in Ninth, Win 4-3
- Bats Break Through, Claws Roll in Series Finale
- BlueClaws Fall in Double-Header Tuesday at Hagerstown
- BlueClaws Sweep Double-Header with Pair of 2-1 Wins