Hot Rods Shutout by Bandits in 1-0 Loss
Davenport, IA- Caleb Sampen allowed one unearned run over seven innings but the Bowling Green Hot Rods dropped their second-straight with a 1-0 shutout loss on Monday afternoon in the series finale of a three-game set with the Quad Cities River Bandits. The Hot Rods are 58-42 overall and 19-11 in the second half ahead of a league-wide off day on Tuesday.
The River Bandits took the lead in the fourth after Hot Rods starter Sampen sat down the first nine hitters he faced in order. Ramiro Rodriguez led off with a single and went to second on an errant pickoff attempt at first. A ground ball out off the bat of Freudis Nova sent Rodriguez to third while Austin Dennis' sacrifice fly plated Rodriguez to give Quad Cities a 1-0 edge.
The lone, unearned, run was the only scoring the River Bandits could get against Sampen, who went seven innings while allowing the one unearned run on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts. Chris Muller threw a spotless inning with two strikeouts.
Notes: Alvarez had his 21st multi-hit game of the season... Ostberg has a four-game hitting streak... Ostberg had his second multi-hit game of the season... Both are two-hit efforts... Sampen tied a career-high with seven innings for the fifth time... All five occurrences have been in 2019 with Bowling Green... With the loss, Sampen's four-game winning streak is over... BG was 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position... The last time the Hot Rods suffered a 1-0 loss was on June 21 at Four Winds Field in South Bend, IN against the South Bend Cubs... It was the ninth time this season the Hot Rods were shut out... Monday's loss was the second time on this road trip the Hot Rods were shut out... Wilson hit in the leadoff spot for the Hot Rods for the first time this season... Wilson had his second outfield assist of the season... It was his first at home plate... Bowling Green has thrown out eight baserunners at home plate this season... Tuesday will serve as a league-wide off day... The Hot Rods return to action on Tuesday, welcoming in the Fort Wayne TinCaps to Bowling Green Ballpark with a 6:35 PM CDT first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 22, 2019
- TinCaps Close Out Homestand with Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Banfield, LumberKings Double up Lugs - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield's Double Powers Clinton to 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Kernels in Rubber Game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Walked Off Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk-Off on Naylor's Knock - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Shutout by Bandits in 1-0 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cubs Snatch Series from Snappers with 6-4 Finale Win - South Bend Cubs
- Bandits Take Series from Bowling Green with Sixteenth Shutout - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bass Plays â??Trophy Fish' in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Fall in Road Trip Finale, 9-3 at Kane County - Dayton Dragons
- Beloit falls in series finale against South Bend - Beloit Snappers
- Shannon, Perdomo Deliver Series Win - Kane County Cougars
- Bass Stops Rattlers Win Streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Victory Is Sweet Like Honey - Great Lakes Loons
- Reds First Round Pick Nick Lodolo to Join Dragons for Thursday Start - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 22 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 98) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview for July 24-26 - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Jherson Pereira transferred from the Gulf Coast League Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Santa Stu to help South Bend Cubs celebrate 'Christmas in July' during upcoming homestand - South Bend Cubs
- Ambush Baseball Brings Lansing Little League Game to Cooley Law School Stadium - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs and Snappers Split Sunday Doubleheader 4-3, 5-1 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Sunday Afternoon
- Hot Rods Drop 2-1 Nail-Biter to Cubs to Open Series
- Hot Rods Game Notes
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win
- Hot Rods Game Notes