Hot Rods Game Notes
Today's game has a first pitch of 1:15 PM CDT and will conclude the Hot Rods regular season schedule against the Western Division.
About Last Night... The Hot Rods suffered a setback thanks to a two-out, walk-off homer run on Sunday evening in a 4-3 loss to the Quad Cities River Bandits, forcing a rubber match in the series finale on Monday. Bowling Green got on the board in the second inning taking a 1-0 lead on a sacrifice fly off the bat of Roberto Alvarez. Quad Cities posted a three-run third to take a two run lead, but sacrifice flies in the fifth and sixth tied the game prior to Easton McGee ending his day with seven innings of work and five strikeouts in his sixth quality start of the season.The game remained tied until the ninth, when with two outs Alex Holderbach came to the plate. Just before he reached the batter's box play was delayed due to a drone hovering over the field. After a few minutes, Holderbach stepped in a drove the 2-0 pitch of his at-bat off the hand of Cristofer Ogando over the right-field wall to give the River Bandits a 4-3 walk off win.
Champions of the Sun... The Hot Rods are 19-5 this season in day games, and for good reason. The team is batting .290 during day games in 2019 while the pitching staff has posted a 2.76 ERA in their 24 contests in the sun. Both of those marks are leading the league while the hitters also lead the league in OBP, slugging, triples during day games.
History Happened on Saturday.. Chris Betts hit his 16th home run of the season and is the MWL active leader in 2019. He also moved into a tie for 5th place on the Hot Rods single-season homer list with Kevin Padlo ('16) and is one behind Phillip Wunderlich ('11) who's in fourth. Betts still has six homers to go before chasing down the record holder, Derek Dietrich, who hit 22 in the 2011 season. Joel Peguero also made history, tying Jamie Bagley (2009) and Kyle Bird (2015) for fifth on the single season saves list with nine. Peguero would tie Austin Hubbard ('11)for fourth place with 10 while Hubbard holds both the single-season and career record with 23 in 2012 and 33 for his Hot Rods career.
Against the River Bandits... The Hot Rods and River Bandits conclude their three-game series on Sunday that pairs the 2018 MWL Champions against the 2017 title holders together for the 10th time. The River Bandits own six MWL titles and are in command of the all-time series against Bowling Green with a 16-13 record against the Hot Rods. The Hot Rods won the 2018 series, 2-1, winning the first and third games of the series by one run while Quad Cities shutout BG in the middle game 6-0. The Hot Rods have swept QC once in their history (2013) while the Bandits have taken all three games of a series twice (2014, 2015). The Hot Rods are also 6-8 at Modern Woodmen Park and are 7-8 against QC back in Bowling Green.
Top 30 past and present... The 2019 Hot Rods have had some great talent come through, and it's well represented on MLB Pipeline's top-30 Rays prospects. While Matthew Liberatore (4th) and Shane Baz (8th) are the only two current Hot Rods on the list, Shane McClanahan (11th), Joe Ryan (17th), and top prospect Wander Franco are all on the list. Ryan, a right-handed pitcher, was recently added after beginning the season outside of the top-30. Ryan started six games in BG and posted a 2.93 ERA with 47 K's in 27.2 innings of work prior to his promotion
Yesterday's Notes... Whalen has reached in 18-straight games... That's the fourth longest active streak in the league... Whalen also extended his hit streak to four games... Proctor has a six-game hitting streak... Proctor had his team-leading 26th mutli-hit game... Five of his last six games have been multi-hit efforts... Hollis had his 12th multi-hit effort of the season... Alvarez had his seventh multi-RBI game of the year... Wilson has his second multi-hit game of the year... They're both two-hit efforts... Alvarez became the fourth Hot Rods with 30+ RBIs this season... McGee threw seven innings for the third time in his career... He also recorded his sixth quality start of the year... The Hot Rods are 12-11 against the Eastern Division this season... The River Bandits have a 16-13 record against the Hot Rods in the all-time series... The bullpen is 23-20 this season... BG is 39-17 when scoring first this season... They're 6-3 when they have the same number of hits as their opponent...
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 22, 2019
- TinCaps Close Out Homestand with Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Banfield, LumberKings Double up Lugs - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield's Double Powers Clinton to 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Top Kernels in Rubber Game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Walked Off Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk-Off on Naylor's Knock - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Shutout by Bandits in 1-0 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cubs Snatch Series from Snappers with 6-4 Finale Win - South Bend Cubs
- Bandits Take Series from Bowling Green with Sixteenth Shutout - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bass Plays â??Trophy Fish' in Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Fall in Road Trip Finale, 9-3 at Kane County - Dayton Dragons
- Beloit falls in series finale against South Bend - Beloit Snappers
- Shannon, Perdomo Deliver Series Win - Kane County Cougars
- Bass Stops Rattlers Win Streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Victory Is Sweet Like Honey - Great Lakes Loons
- Reds First Round Pick Nick Lodolo to Join Dragons for Thursday Start - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 22 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 98) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview for July 24-26 - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Jherson Pereira transferred from the Gulf Coast League Astros to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Santa Stu to help South Bend Cubs celebrate 'Christmas in July' during upcoming homestand - South Bend Cubs
- Ambush Baseball Brings Lansing Little League Game to Cooley Law School Stadium - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs and Snappers Split Sunday Doubleheader 4-3, 5-1 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020