Heat Lose to Wild 4-2
Abbotsford, B.C. - The Abbotsford Heat lost to the Iowa Wild 4-2 on Thursday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). Despite the loss, the Heat are five points clear of the Manchester Monarchs for first place in the AHL with a record of 20-7-1-1 and 42 points.
Markus Granlund continued his torrid pace, extending his AHL leading point streak to 11 games with a goal. Heat defenceman Derek Smith also had a strong showing in his third game in Abbotsford, with one goal and five shots on net. Kris Foucault and Erik Haula each scored twice in the Iowa victory.
Iowa opened the scoring just 1:29 into the first period, as Kris Foucault scored his third goal of the season. However, Granlund evened the game by scoring his 12th of the year on the power play at 3:41 from Corban Knight and Chad Billins. Granlund's goal made it 10 consecutive games in which the Heat have scored a power play goal. Smith, recently assigned from the Calgary Flames, scored to give the Heat a 2-1 lead at 5:49. Smith's goal was assisted by Max Reinhart and Josh Jooris.
Iowa's Erik Haula scored twice in the second period, at 6:03 and 19:24, to give the Wild a 3-2 lead through 40 minutes. Joey MacDonald made 20 saves on 23 shots and Johan Gustafsson stopped 19 of 21 shots for Iowa through two periods.
Kris Foucault provided the only scoring of the third period, giving the Wild some insurance at 16:58.
The Heat went one out of five on the power play and killed off the only Iowa man advantage.
Joey MacDonald was charged with the Abbotsford loss, making 30 saves on 34 shots. Johan Gustafsson earned the win by stopping 28 of 30 Abbotsford shots.
The Heat will now head out on a three game road trip leading up to the Christmas break, with two games against the Utica Comets (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) and one against the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens). The Heat will return home for a post-Christmas series with the Oklahoma City Barons (AHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers) on Friday December 27th and Saturday December 28th at the AESC (7:00PM). December 27th will feature a Legends of Hockey appearance by Oilers legend Grant Fuhr, with an autograph session on the AESC concourse at 6pm.
For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2013
- Barons fall for first time in Rockford, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Winchester Helps Hogs Past Barons - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Slip Past Falcons 5-4 in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Top Monsters in Shootout Thriller at Frozen Frontier - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Suffer 5-4 Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Campbell Backstops Texas to 2-1 Win over Chicago - Texas Stars
- Wolves Edged by Stars, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Take out Ads - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Force Overtime Versus Norfolk, Fall In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Marlies Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Sixth Shooter Straka Ships Successfully - Adirondack Phantoms
- Adirondack gets past Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Gale Winds Propel Monarchs' Sails - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Defeat Pirates 4-3 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Defeat Bears as Kostopoulos Reaches Milestone - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Worcester outshoots Manchester 40-25 in loss - Worcester Sharks
- Comets Send B-Sens to Sixth Straight Loss - Binghamton Senators
- Devils Win Fifth Straight, Defeat Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Penguins Score Early, Defeat Bears on Special Teams - Hershey Bears
- Pirates Dropped by Bruins in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Devils beat Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Texas Stars Sign Defenseman Jeff May to PTO - Texas Stars
- Blue Jackets Recall Jeremy Smith; Falcons Recall Linus Lundin - Springfield Falcons
- Goers Signed to PTO by Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wild Summons Haula, Assigns Zucker - Iowa Wild
- Connolly & Mackenzie Assigned to Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Gameday: Comets vs Binghamton - Utica Comets
- Comet Tales: Clinton Comets Appreciation Night - Utica Comets
- Goaltender Brandon Anderson Reassigned to Hershey Bears - Hershey Bears
- B-Sens Release Madore, Sign Stein - Binghamton Senators
- Hogs Open Set against Barons Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Eaves and Glendening to Detroit, Emmerton to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bulldogs Sign Macenauer and McIver - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Acquire Goaltender Dov Grumet-Morris from San Antonio - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Trade Grumet-Morris to Hartford for Future Considerations - San Antonio Rampage
- Pirates Look for Third Win over Bruins this Week - Portland Pirates
- Beach Happy with Transition to Wolf Pack, Ranger Organization - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Polasek Added to Comets Roster - Utica Comets
- WIBX-Keeler Toy Drive to End with the Comets - Utica Comets
- Heat Lose to Wild 4-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Topple Barons 4-0 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wild Take Down the Heat 4-2 - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.