Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - In the second-to-last game of the 2019 season, the TinCaps' comeback attempt came up just short in a 7-5 loss to the Lansing Lugnuts (Toronto Blue Jays affiliate) in front of 6,060 fans at Parkview Field on Sunday night.
The Lugnuts (35-34, 67-71) peppered the TinCaps (29-40, 62-75) early in the contest, scoring twice in the first and once more in the third.
Jawuan Harris provided a bit of thunder in the third with a no-doubt, two-run home run that traveled 418 feet in the air. Harris has reached in 16 consecutive games and now has eight home runs this season. He reached four times in Sunday night's game (single, home run, two walks).
Omar Cruz racked up six strikeouts (all swinging) in his four-inning start. In 49 innings with the TinCaps in 2019, the left-hander recorded an impressive 62 strikeouts and a 2.76 ERA.
Lansing put the game out of reach with four runs combined between the fourth and fifth innings, all of which came with two outs.
The 'Caps refused to quit, scoring twice in the fifth and once more in the sixth. Chandler Seagle doubled and scored in the fifth, followed by a sacrifice fly in the sixth that scored Agustin Ruiz. Seagle finished the game 3-for-3 with two runs scored, while Ruiz doubled twice for his second consecutive multi-hit game.
Late in the game, Fort Wayne couldn't quite take advantage of chances to fully complete the comeback. The TinCaps left a combined eight runners on base in the final five innings of the game. Overall, the 'Caps went 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10.
Monday, September 2 vs. Lansing (1:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Efraín Contreras
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Sean Wymer
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Minor League Baseball President Pat O'Conner Visits Parkview Field During Midwest League Fall Meetings
- TinCaps to Enhance Parkview Field Experience in 2020
- Former Fort Wayne Players in 2019 MLB Postseason
- 57 Former Fort Wayne Players in Major Leagues in 2019
- Fort Wayne Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Patriot Award