Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin
Davenport, IA - Despite finishing with just two hits, the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers prevailed with a 4-3 win over the Quad Cities River Bandits on Sunday afternoon at Modern Woodmen Park. Yeison Coca's two-run single in the third inning proved to be the difference in the ballgame. The River Bandits have lost three straight games and seven of the last eight.
The game began in an unfavorable way for Quad Cites (35-34, 78-57). Francis Martes, who joined the River Bandits from Triple-A Round Rock earlier in the day, allowed a solo home run to Je'Von Ward on the first pitch of the day as Wisconsin grabbed a 1-0 lead. Martes is coming back from Tommy John surgery last August.
The Timber Rattlers (38-31, 69-69) added to their lead in the third against the combination of Martes and Jose Rivera. The starter ended a stretch of five consecutive strikeouts with a two-out walk to Thomas Dillard. Rivera came out of the bullpen and walked Connor McVey before a wild pitch moved both runners into scoring position. Coca responded with a roller up the middle to make it 3-0. Martes was charged with two runs allowed over 2.2 innings. He walked three and struck out six.
The River Bandits scored in only the fifth inning. Zach Biermann opened the frame by launching a 455-foot home run to right field that one-hopped into the Mississippi River. Trey Dawson followed by drawing a walk and then stole second base to get into scoring position. He moved to third on a right side groundout by Carlos Machado and then scored on another groundball from AJ Lee to make it a 3-2 game. Neither team scored the rest of the way. The team's last five losses have been decided by one run.
C.J. Stubbs was the only player in the game to finish with multiple hits. The River Bandits leadoff hitter went 2-4. On the mound, Rivera worked 4.1 innings, allowing one run on one hit and striking out four. Devin Conn closed the game with 2.0 scoreless innings.
The final game of the regular season is slated for 1:15 p.m. on Monday afternoon. RHP Jose Bravo (5-5, 3.77) will start in the finale against Wisconsin RHP Victor Castaneda (4-1, 3.51).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park
- Bandits Now Accepting Valentine's Day Dinner Reservations
- River Bandits to Host Charity Hot Stove Dinner January 29th