Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3
South Bend, IN: The South Bend Cubs picked up some solid momentum heading closer to the Midwest League Postseason by beating the Bowling Green Hot Rods in walk-off fashion by a final of 4-3 in 10 innings. Marcus Mastrobuoni provided the knockout punch when he hit a ground ball to third base in the bottom of the 10th. The ball was misplayed by Seaver Whalen and Andy Weber scored the game winning run.
The day got started with Bowling Green picking up the early 1-0 lead on a solo home run by Whalen off of Derek Casey. Whalen also hit a two-run home run against rehabbing Chicago Cubs pitcher Derek Holland.
The Cubs brought it to a 3-3 tie after Nelson Maldonado skied a long home run over the left field wall in the bottom of the 2nd and when Fidel Mejia doubled home two runs in the 4th. With a tie game, Holland returned to the mound for his second rehab inning.
The top of the 5th was a quick one for Holland. The 32-year-old retired two batters to start the frame and was taken out of the game after 1.2 innings pitched. Holland punched out Nick Schnell, who was the final batter he faced.
The 3-3 score took the game to extra innings. Solid relief outings on both sides kept Sunday's matinee at a standstill. Right-hander Brendan King had one of his best outings in a South Bend Cubs uniform and struck out seven batters in three shutout innings.
In the top of the 10th, Brian Glowicki worked a scoreless frame to set the Cubs up with a chance to win. With Weber automatically at second base, he was pushed to third on a groundout by Mejia. On the error by Whalen, Weber scored, and the Cubs mobbed Mastrobuoni behind second base in a huge celebration.
With the win, the Cubs head into the final regular season game of the year tomorrow hoping to pick up the series victory. South Bend will also meet Bowling Green in the first round starting on Wednesday night at 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.