Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3
DAVENPORT, IA - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers rallied from a 3-2 deficit to take a 4-3 lead over the Quad Cities River Bandits on Saturday Night at Modern Woodmen Park. Adam Hill and Tyler Gillies held the line and the Rattlers beat the playoff-bound River Bandits 4-3 in the first game of Wisconsin's final series of the season.
The game started in a slight drizzle after a rain delay of nearly 90 minutes and the Rattlers took the lead right away. Korry Howell drew a walk with one out, stole second, and took third on a passed ball. Thomas Dillard drove in Howell with a single and the Rattlers were up 1-0.
The River Bandits (78-56 overall, 35-33 second half) took the lead in the bottom of the second inning. Carlos Machado reached on an error and stole second to start the inning. Alex Holderbach followed with a double to drive in Machado. Later in the inning, Zach Biermann doubled to drive home Holderbach for a 2-1 lead.
Wisconsin (68-69, 37-31) tied the game in the top of the third. Antonio Piñero, who had three extra-base hits on Saturday night, hit a lead-off triple and Jesús Lujano singled to send Piñero home with the tying run.
Quad Cities went back in front in the bottom of the third. Austin Dennis hit a lead-off triple and Oscar Campos grounded out to short to send Dennis home with the go-ahead run.
The Rattlers fought back to take the lead with single runs in the fourth and fifth innings.
RJ Freure, the Quad Cities starter, retired the first two batters he faced in the fourth inning, but committed a throwing error on a grounder back to the mound off the bat of Yeison Coca. That error allowed Coca to make it all the way to third. Piñero knocked a double to left and Coca trotted home with the tying run.
Freure walked the based loaded in the fifth and left the game with one out. Joey Gonzalez got Pablo Abreu to send a short fly to right that dropped in for a single to score Howell from third base for a 4-3 lead.
Hill entered the contest in the bottom of the fifth and settled the game. He tossed four scoreless innings, allowed two hits, walked one, and struck out seven. That put the right-hander in line for his first win since June 14.
Tyler Gillies worked a 1-2-3 bottom of the ninth inning with two strikeouts to close out the game and earn his third save of the season.
Game two of the series is Sunday afternoon at Modern Woodmen Park. Justin Jarvis (1-0, 1.65) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Quad Cities has not named a starter for Sunday's game. First pitch is scheduled for 1:15pm. . The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 12:55pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
WIS 101 110 000 - 4 8 1
QC 021 000 000 - 3 6 1
WP: Adam Hill (7-9)
LP: RJ Freure (5-7)
SAVE: Tyler Gillies (3)
TIME: 3:23 (1:26 delay)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- It's Back: Friday Night Fish Fry To-Go from the Ballpark
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities