Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton
Cedar Rapids, IA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels and Minnesota Twins announce that RHP Alex Schick has been promoted to triple-A Rochester; INF Anthony Prato joins the Kernels from Elizabethton; and OF Byron Buxton has ended his rehab assignment with the Kernels. Brian Maloney, Senior Manager of Minor League Operations, announced the moves.
Schick made 21 relief appearances for the Kernels this season, posting a 5-2 record and 6.35 ERA. In 34 IP, he allowed 28 hits and 26 runs (24 earned) with 26 walks and 44 strikeouts. He was selected by the Twins in the 6th round of the 2016 First Year Player Draft out of the University of California.
The Twins selected Prato in the 7th round of the 2019 First Year Player Draft out of the University of Connecticut. In 45 games at Elizabethton, he hit .267 (43-161) with 2 HR and 17 RBI.
Buxton played in one rehab game for the Kernels, going 2-3 with a double. He was selected by the Twins in the 1st round (2nd pick overall) of the 2012 First Year Player Draft out of Appling County HS in Baxley, GA.
Prato is active and available for today 2:00 PM game at Beloit. With today's transactions, the Kernels roster remains at the MWL maximum of 25 active players, with six players currently on the injured list.
The Kernels wrap up the 2019 MWL regular season with a three-game series at Beloit that continues today at 2:00 PM. They host the Quad Cities River Bandits on Wednesday, September 4th in game one of a best-of-three series in the first round of the MWL playoffs, with games 2 and 3 in Quad Cities.
Thomas Breach brings you all of the play-by-play on the radio home of Kernels baseball, 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM. Fans may listen on-line at www.kmryradio.com, or www.kernels.com. Fans may also stream all 70 Kernels home game and selected road games via a MiLB.TV subscription. Visit www.milb.com for MiLB.TV subscription information.
Tickets may be purchased on-line at www.kernels.com, or by calling the Kernels Ticket Office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, and 10 am to 2 pm on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.