Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First
Geneva, Illinois - David Garza's walk-off infield single catapulted the Kane County Cougars (80-58, 45-24) into sole possession of first place with a 3-2 10-inning victory over the Burlington Bees (66-73, 27-42) in front of 9,041 fans at Northwestern Medicine Field. The Cougars can clinch the Western Division title if they win tomorrow's regular-season finale.
In the second inning, Buddy Kennedy led off for the Cougars with a single. The next batter, Blaze Alexander, chopped a ball off the pitcher. It caromed to third baseman Kevin Maitan. Maitan's throw was wild and went up the right field line, allowing Kennedy to score from first. Alexander motored into third base and the throw there got away, sending Alexander home for a Little League homer.
The Cougars maintained the 2-0 lead into the ninth. Erin Baldwin tossed four innings of scoreless ball. Kenny Hernandez didn't allow a run in his first four innings. However, Hernandez departed with one out in the ninth and a runner on. Kai-Wei Lin took over on the mound. He allowed a two-run double to Johan Sala to tie the game.
In extras, Lin tossed a scoreless tenth. In the bottom half, Zac Almond's sacrifice bunt moved the automatic runner to third base. Pinch hitter Keshawn Lynch walked. Garza followed with a bouncer over the mound that allowed Tra Holmes to hustle home with the winning run.
Gregory Veliz (2-2) took the loss, surrendering the final run in his only inning on the mound. Kai-Wei Lin (5-3) earned the win with 1.2 innings of one-run (unearned run) ball.
The regular season finale occurs Monday afternoon at 1:00 between the Cougars and Bees. Purchase tickets by calling 630-282-8811 or online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.