Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities
DAVENPORT, IA - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers were held to two hits by the Quad Cities River Bandits on Sunday afternoon at Modern Woodmen Park. That didn't matter to Wisconsin as they beat the River Bandits 3-2.
Je'Von Ward hit the first pitch of the game for a home run to right and the Rattlers (69-69 overall,. 38-31 second half) had a 1-0 lead right away against Francis Martes.
Martes left the game on his pitch limit after issuing a two-out walk to Thomas Dillard in the top of the third inning. Connor McVey coaxed a walk from reliever Jose Alberto Rivera to keep the inning alive. Rivera uncorked a wild pitch with Yeison Coca at the plate to move both runners into scoring position. Coca took advantage of the opportunity and smacked a single to center to score both Dillard and McVey and the Rattlers were up 3-0.
That hit by Coca would be the last hit of the game for Wisconsin. The Rattlers would only have two more base runners for the remainder of the game. Coca walked in the sixth and the ninth innings, but the Rattlers could not add to their lead.
Quad Cities (78-57, 35-34) got to Wisconsin starting pitcher Justin Jarvis in the bottom of the fifth. Zach Biermann hit a lead-off home run. Later in the inning, AJ Lee's RBI grounder scored Trey Dawson from third and the River Bandits were within a run.
That is where they would stay.
Jarvis went back out for the bottom of the sixth inning and pitched around a two-out error. He allowed two runs and struck out five while walking one over six frames before turning the game over to the bullpen.
Jake Cousins was the first Rattler reliever out of the bullpen and he allowed a two-out single in the seventh before getting the final out. In the eighth, the River Bandits got a lead-off single, but Cousins got Grae Kessinger to ground into a 6-4-3 double play before closing the inning with a strikeout.
Tyler Gillies, who picked up a save on Saturday night with a 1-2-3 ninth while protecting a one-run lead, took over in the bottom of the ninth on Sunday and tossed another 1-2-3 inning for his fourth save of the season. Gillies has not allowed a run in his last six outings.
Sunday's win gave the Rattlers a chance at a winning overall record for the season with a win in the final game of the regular season Monday afternoon at Modern Woodmen Park. Victor Castaneda (4-1, 3.51) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. The playoff-bound River Bandits will send Jose Bravo (5-5, 3.77) to the mound as their starter. Game time is 1:15pm. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 12:55pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
WIS 102 000 000 - 3 2 1
QC 000 020 000 - 2 5 0
Je'Von Ward (2nd, 0 on in 1st inning off Francis Martes, 0 out)
Zach Biermann (2nd, 0 on in 5th inning off Justin Jarvis, 0 out)
WP: Justin Jarvis (4-1)
LP: Francis Martes (0-1)
SAVE: Tyler Gillies (4)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County