4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss
BELOIT, WI - A 4-run third inning ended up being the deciding factor in the ballgame this afternoon, but not in the Snappers favor as they fall to the Kernels 5-1. Cedar Rapids put up 4 of their 7 hits in the third inning which was just enough to edge the Snappers this afternoon.
Cedar Rapids would get the scoring started with that 4-run inning and tack on another in the fifth inning to take the early 5-0 advantage. In fact, it would not be until the bottom half of the fifth before the Snappers would get their first run of the game.
In the fifth, Beloit would get two straight singles from Lester Madden and Nick Ward to place runners on first and second with no outs. After a sacrifice bunt from Santis Sanchez, Joseph Pena would lace a single to shortstop to plate Madden and cut the Snappers deficit to 5-1 after 5 complete.
Unfortunately for Beloit, that would be all the scoring they would be able to collect tonight falling by a final of 5-1 to the Cedar Rapids Kernels.
For the Snappers on the mound, Richard Guasch would get the start and end up with the loss after two and two-thirds innings of work. Guasch would be removed in the third inning after giving up 4 runs on 4 hits, while punching out 3.
Calvin Coker would be first out of the pen and was solid bridging the gap to piggyback starter Aiden McIntyre. Coker would throw two and a third innings of one-hit baseball surrendering just 1 run on 2 hits and 2 strikeouts.
McIntyre would finish the game out for Beloit tossing 4 shutout innings and being virtually unhittable.
McIntyre would end his day after giving up just 1 hit and striking out 8 Kernels in an impressive end to McIntyre's All-Star season.
Beloit will put a bow on the season tomorrow with a 2 P.M. first pitch on Labor Day at Pohlman Field.
Tomorrow we will have our Monster Deal Monday with the first 300 fans receiving hats courtesy of WCLO. Then after the game, fans will have the chance to take 10 swings for 10 dollars on the beautiful Pohlman Field. Come on out to Pohlman Field tomorrow to cap off a fantastic 2019 season!
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Plan for Downtown Beloit Stadium Development Announced Along with New Ownership
- Future Stars, Baseball, and New Promotions Highlight Snappers Fun-Filled 2019 Season
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1