Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday
Clinton, IA - The Peoria Chiefs scored in the first and ninth innings to prevent the playoff-bound Clinton LumberKings from clinching the Western Division title with a 2-1 Sunday afternoon win. With five shutout innings and two strikeouts, pitcher Logan Gragg was the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
The Chiefs got on the board in the top of the first against starter Tanner Andrews. Delvin Perez singled with one out and stole second base, his 22nd swipe of the season. Brendan Donovan singled to center to plate Perez and give the Chiefs a 1-0 lead.
The game flew by at a blistering pace as Gragg and Andrews tossed up dueling shutout frames. Franyel Casadilla took over for Gragg in the sixth and blanked Clinton for two more innings before an unearned run tied the game in the bottom of the eighth. Clinton ran themselves out of the frame as Chris Torres was caught stealing third to end the inning with the game tied 1-1.
Andrews stayed on for the ninth and Perez tripled with one out before Donovan was walked intentionally. Leandro Cedeno put the Chiefs on top 2-1 with a sacrifice fly to deep right. Evan Sisk got the save in the ninth as he allowed a leadoff double but ultimately stranded the tying run at third on a groundout.
The Chiefs finish the season in Clinton at 2:00 p.m. Monday. The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 1:45 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Garza a Hero, Cougars Alone in First - Kane County Cougars
- McGuire Spells Relief in 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Harris Homers and Ruiz Doubles Twice in Seasonâ??s Penultimate Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Stun Clinton Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sunday's Captains vs. Loons Game Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- Four-Run Third Leads Kernels over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Penultimate Regular Season Game Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Propels 'Caps to Third Straight Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Walk-Off Error Propels Cubs over Hot Rods 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Andrews' Gem Wasted in Loss to Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Bandits Allow Two Hits, Lose 3-2 to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Homers Twice, Baz K's Nine in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Early Lead Is Enough For Rattlers Win at Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 vs. Lansing (Game 137) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Anthony Prato joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mistakes Prove Costly as Bandits Drop 4-3 Decision - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Edges Quad Cities 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.