Grizzlies Begin Road Trip Tonight in Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio - The Utah Grizzlies are in the Queen City as they take on the Cincinnati Cyclones in a battle of first place teams on Wednesday night at US Bank Arena.
The Grizzlies are tied for first place in the Mountain Division with the Tulsa Oilers as both teams have 44 standings points on the year. The Cyclones are in first place in the Central Division with 50 standings points and a record of 14-1-2-1 at home this season.
Austin Carroll has been outstanding for the Grizzlies since coming back to Utah after a 4 week stint in the AHL. Carroll has 4 goals and 2 assists in his last 4 games.
Jack Walker has a 3 game goal scoring streak, including a thrilling game winning goal in overtime to complete a 3 game sweep of the Wichita Thunder last Saturday night. Tim McGauley has been good lately as he has 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 3 games.
It's a meeting between 2 really good defensive teams. Cincinnati leads the league by allowing only 81 goals on the season. The Grizzlies are 2nd by allowing only 85 goals. Both teams have outstanding goaltenders. Cyclones goalie Michael Houser is tied for the league lead with a .937 save percentage. Utah goaltender Joe Cannata leads the league with 4 shutouts and Kevin Carr won 3 games for the Grizzlies last week vs Wichita. Carr currently has a record of 11-2-1 on the year.
Wednesday night begins a 3 game, 3 city, 4 day road trip to the eastern time zone. On Friday night the Grizzlies are at the Wheeling Nailers and Saturday they are in Fort Wayne to play the Komets.
Tonight's broadcast can be heard on ESPN 700/ECHL.TV. 5:35 pm face-off mountain time, 7:35 pm local start in Cincinnati.
Grizzlies notes: Forward Ryan Misiak was traded to the Idaho Steelheads on Monday to complete a future considerations deal that was originally with the Florida Everblades in a deal that brought forward Matt Berry to Utah. Misiak had 18 goals and 43 assists in 135 games in a Grizzlies uniform in 3 seasons and 2 different stints with the club. The Cyclones are tied for the league lead with a 86.3 percent penalty kill. Cincinnati features 3 former Grizzlies players on their current roster. Defenseman Mitch Jones and forward Nate Mitton each played for Utah in the 2017-18 season. Forward Eric Knodel played in 56 games for the Grizzlies in the 2015-16 season. Watch out for the 3rd period in tonight's game. Cincinnati has outscored opponents 42-18 in the 3rd periods, while the Grizzlies have been outscored 30-29 in the final frame of regulation. Cincinnati is tied for the league lead by averaging 3.79 goals per game and they also lead the league by allowing only 2.38 goals per game. It's going to be a good test for the Grizzlies in the only regular season meeting between the 2 teams.
Images from this story
Austin Carroll of the Utah Grizzlies vs. the Indy Fuel
Utah Grizzlies forwards Austin Carroll (21) and Cole Ully
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 9, 2019
- Solar Bears Drop Road Trip Opener to Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades' Special Teams Overwhelms Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Booth, Royals March Past Thunder, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Royals Top Thunder 3-1 as Point Streak Comes to a Halt - Adirondack Thunder
- Zach O'Brien Stays Hot in a 5-4 Growlers Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Valiant Comeback Effort Falls One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Forward Matthew Weis Assigned to Komets, Fucale Reassigned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 9 - ECHL
- Robbie Payne Makes Return to Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Rays Complete Trade with Worcester - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Preview: Everblades Open Three-Game Set with Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Bring Back Struthers - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Scott Allison Named to All-Star Classic Staff - Kalamazoo Wings
- Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Fort Wayne's Joe Franke Named All-Star Equipment Manager - Fort Wayne Komets
- Grizzlies Begin Road Trip Tonight in Cincinnati - Utah Grizzlies
- Worcester Railers HC Host Two Promotion Packed Games at the DCU Center this Weekend - Worcester Railers HC
- Michael Huntebrinker Returned on Loan to Reading - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Royals Host Thunder with Chance to Even Season Series - Reading Royals
- Mariners Claim 6'5 Goalie Minney off Waivers - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.