Preview: Everblades Open Three-Game Set with Greenville
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades (23-7-5-0, 51 pts.) hit the official halfway point of the 2018-19 regular season on Wednesday with the first game of a three-game series against Greenville Swamp Rabbits (14-19-3-2, 33 pts.).
Game 36: Everblades vs. Greenville
When: 7:30 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Social: Twitter | #GRNvsFLA
Last Time Out
Florida bounced back from a 2-1 loss on Friday night against Atlanta with a 7-2 drubbing of the Gladiators on Saturday at Hertz Arena. Seven different players found the back of the net for Florida, which became the first team in the ECHL to surpass 50 standings points. Defenseman Josh Wesley led the way with a career-high four-point night (1g, 3a), and Jeremy Helvig turned aside 35 shots to earn his seventh straight victory, a season-high for a 'Blades netminder.
Players to Watch
Joe Cox (FLA) - Named on Monday to the Eastern Conference roster for the 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic, Cox leads all active 'Blades players with 33 points (13g-20a) this season. The Chelsea, Michigan, native has recorded six points (2g, 4a) in six games against Greenville this year and has tabbed seven total multi-point games this season.
Johno May (GRN) - The rookie will represent Greenville at the 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic and leads Greenville in goal scoring with 17 tallies this season. May's goals have come in bunches. He has notched six different multi-goal games this year, with his most recent two-goal performance coming on Dec. 22 against South Carolina.
Wednesday is the seventh total meeting between the two teams this year and the third of five meetings at Hertz Arena. Florida has a 6-0-0-0 record against Greenville this season and a 49-31-15 all-time record against the Swamp Rabbits. Dating back to last season, Florida has earned 11 straight regular-season wins against Greenville. The 'Blades last loss was a 4-3 shootout setback on Feb. 2, 2018, at home.
Florida has scored less than two goals in just five games this year, but it has managed to come up with big responses in the game immediately following those contests. On the heels of scoring just once this past Friday, Florida posted seven goals on Saturday and has averaged 4.4 goals per game in the five games after being held to less than two tallies.
With this weekend's series, Florida and Greenville will have played each other in four of the last six weeks. Florida earned back to back shootout victories in the most recent matchups with the Swamp Rabbits on Dec. 28-29 in Greenville, South Carolina. Florida posted a 3-2 win in a shootout on Dec. 28 thanks to Blake Winiecki's shootout score, and Nathan Perkovich provided the lone shootout tally in Florida's 5-4 victory the next night.
When Florida has reached three goals in a game, success has followed. The 'Blades have yet to lose a game in regulation when they have found the back of the net three times, sporting a record of 23-0-4-0 in that scenario.
Florida has allowed less than three goals in five of its last six contests and has held its opponents to less than three tallies 21 times this year in 35 games. The 'Blades rank second in the ECHL in goals allowed per game (2.51).
After a day off on Thursday, Florida continues the three-game set with Greenville with a 7:30 p.m. matchup on Friday before a 7 p.m. series finale on Saturday.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades line up for fist bumps
(Kevin Bires Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 9, 2019
- Solar Bears Drop Road Trip Opener to Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades' Special Teams Overwhelms Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Booth, Royals March Past Thunder, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Royals Top Thunder 3-1 as Point Streak Comes to a Halt - Adirondack Thunder
- Zach O'Brien Stays Hot in a 5-4 Growlers Win - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Valiant Comeback Effort Falls One Goal Short - Maine Mariners
- Forward Matthew Weis Assigned to Komets, Fucale Reassigned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 9 - ECHL
- Robbie Payne Makes Return to Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Rays Complete Trade with Worcester - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Preview: Everblades Open Three-Game Set with Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Bring Back Struthers - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Scott Allison Named to All-Star Classic Staff - Kalamazoo Wings
- Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Fort Wayne's Joe Franke Named All-Star Equipment Manager - Fort Wayne Komets
- Grizzlies Begin Road Trip Tonight in Cincinnati - Utah Grizzlies
- Worcester Railers HC Host Two Promotion Packed Games at the DCU Center this Weekend - Worcester Railers HC
- Michael Huntebrinker Returned on Loan to Reading - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Royals Host Thunder with Chance to Even Season Series - Reading Royals
- Mariners Claim 6'5 Goalie Minney off Waivers - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Rapid Reaction: 'Blades Score Twice in 7-Second Span to Top Rush, 4-0
- 'Blades Weekly: Season's Only Trip West Set for this Weekend
- Return of McCarron, Sheppard Highlights String of Roster Moves
- 'Blades Forward Kyle Platzer Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout