Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM
(Hershey, PA) - Tonight, the Hershey Bears begin three games in three consecutive nights with a 7:05 PM road contest against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. It's the eighth of 12 meetings between the Bears and Baby Pens in 2019-20.
Hershey Bears (28-15-2-3) at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (24-16-3-5)
February 7, 2020 | 7:05 PM | Game #49 | Mohegan Sun Arena
Referees: Mitch Dunning (43), Chris Waterstradt (88)
Linesmen: Ryan Knapp (73), Jud Ritter (34)
Broadcast Information (Pre-game 6:35 p.m.)
RADIO: WQIC-100.1 FM, Fox Sports 1460-AM, WOYK-1350 AM, Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch and Matt Trust on the call.
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream, Caps Radio 24/7
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV
LAST TIME OUT:
The Hershey Bears seek their first win in February after falling to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 3-0, last Saturday night at Giant Center. Chris Stewart scored only 4:11 into the contest for Lehigh Valley, and David Kase doubled the Phantoms' lead with a key insurance marker at 17:43 of the third period. Mikhail Vorobyev hit the Bears' vacated net at 18:19 to complete the 3-0 final. More recently, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were in action on Wednesday night and skated to a 2-1 victory over the Binghamton Devils at Mohegan Sun Arena. David Warsofsky scored both Pens goals on the power play in the first and third frames, and Casey DeSmith made 22 stops on 23 shots for the win in goal.
Pheonix Copley has secured a victory for the Chocolate and White in 10 of his last 11 starts dating back to Dec. 1 versus Hartford. In his last 11 starts, the North Pole, Alaska native has yielded two goals or less in eight appearances. Copley has squared off against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton four times this season and shows a 3-0-1 record with a 0.95 goals against average, .965 save percentage, and one shutout. The shutout occurred on Nov. 13 after being outdueled by Casey DeSmith in a 1-0 shootout decision for the Penguins.
The Penguins enter tonight's game as one of the hottest teams in the AHL with points in eight consecutive games (6-0-0-2) dating back to Jan. 18. In the current stretch, blueliner David Warsofsky has led the charge with nine points (four goals, five assists). Cole Cassels leads forwards with eight points (two goals, six assists). In the goaltending department, Casey DeSmith is 5-0-0 during the eight game point streak with a 2.13 goals against average and .923 save percentage.
With 48 games played, Hershey is nearly two-thirds of the way through the 2019-20 campaign. With a record of 28-15-2-3, the Bears sit at 61 points, 2nd in the Atlantic Division and trailing 1st place Hartford by two points. The last time Hershey had a better record through 48 games came during the 2014-15 campaign. The Chocolate and White were 28-13-5-2 that year through 49 contests, good for sole possession of 1st in the East Division with 63 points. Through 48 games last season, Hershey was 23-20-0-3, sitting in 5th place in the Atlantic with 53 points.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 7, 2020
- Stars Win Shootout Thriller against Admirals in Milwaukee - Texas Stars
- Greer, Miska Propel Colorado to 5-1 Win over San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Dansk, Wolves Blank Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Shut-Out by Hershey, 3-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Secure Sixth-Straight Home Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Copley Stellar, Bears Blank Pens 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Charlotte Offense Explodes in 6-0 Beatdown of Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeat Amerks, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Shut out Devils 3-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Berube, Phantoms Prevent T-Birds' Season Series Sweep - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Stage Comeback in Win over Marlies - Belleville Senators
- Checkers too Much for Wolf Pack, 6-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Shut Down Devils, 3-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Philadelphia Recalls F Frost, Loans F Andreoff to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Cameron Gaunce from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood, Reassign Sprong to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Texas Stars Recall Diego Cuglietta from Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Celebrate Valentine's Day with the Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Oleg Sosunov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Battle of Ontario Resumes Tonight in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Painting with a Purpose February 26 - Syracuse Crunch
- Myles Powell Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, February 7 - Belleville Senators
- Game 44 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Edge Chicago, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Hershey Bears Statement Regarding the Suspension of the AHL Season
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Gains Momentum for Big Road Weekend
- Hershey's March 20 Game at Lehigh Valley Added to TV Schedule
- Bears Recall Chris McCarthy from South Carolina
- Bears Comeback Late, Fall in Shootout to Bruins