EfraÃn Contreras Stars in Season Finale
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - On a sunny Labor Day afternoon, the TinCaps wrapped up their 2019 season with a 3-1 loss to the Lansing Lugnuts (Toronto Blue Jays affiliate) at Parkview Field.
Efraín Contreras saved one of his best starts in 2019 for last, striking out a season-high nine batters in six innings of work. The 19-year-old native of Mexico finished the season with 121 strikeouts in 109 2/3 innings pitched. In his final seven appearances of the season (dating back to July 30), Contreras allowed just eight earned runs in 32 2/3 IP while racking up 32 strikeouts. His six innings on Monday matched a season-long effort.
The Lugnuts (36-34, 68-71) had seven hits in the game, but three were solo home runs as Yorman Rodriguez (fourth inning), Otto Lopez (sixth), and Griffin Conine (eighth) all went deep.
The TinCaps (29-41, 62-76) plated their lone run in the fifth. Three straight singles by Justin Lopez, Agustin Ruiz, and Ethan Skender produced the run that at the time tied the game.
The 'Caps pitching staff racked up 12 total strikeouts on the day. Franklin Van Gurp closed out the campaign with two scoreless innings and two strikeouts. In his final six outings of the season (dating back to August 17), Van Gurp allowed just two earned runs in 12 innings with 12 strikeouts. Ramon Perez also had one K in his one inning.
For Lansing, Sean Wymer hurled his best start of the season, tossing a complete game while allowing just one run on four hits.
TinCaps left fielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton was hit by a pitch his final two times up. He was hit by a pitch a total of 32 times during the season, a Fort Wayne franchise record and also the most for any player in Minor League Baseball this season. Williams-Sutton finished the year with a .411 on-base percentage, the best in the Midwest League, and the highest OBP for a Fort Wayne player since Jason Hagerty had a .423 OBP in 2010.
Thursday, April 9 @ Bowling Green
Thank you for your coverage of the TinCaps throughout the 2019 season
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Dragons Burn 'Caps in Season Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Peyton Burdick wins MWL Player of the Month - Clinton LumberKings
- Regular Season Ends with Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season - Beloit Snappers
- On Final Day, Cougars Clinch Western Division - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Close Regular Season with Offensive Explosion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Sweep Snappers to End Regular Season - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Swipe Finale from Hot Rods 3-2 on Homers by Daniel and Davis - South Bend Cubs
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Drop Regular Season Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Season with 5-2 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- EfraÃn Contreras Stars in Season Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Valera's Triple Boosts Captains in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wymer CG Completes Lugnuts' Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 vs. Lansing (Game 138/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Virtual Beer Tasting on Tap
- Weathers 1 of 23 Fort Wayne Alums in MLB Postseason
- TinCaps to Host a Second Movie Night (The Sandlot) Presented by Lancia Homes
- 260 to the Show Report: 46 Former Fort Wayne Players in Big Leagues in 2020
- Johnny TinCap Joins Fight against Breast Cancer, Teams with Rival