On Final Day, Cougars Clinch Western Division
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (81-58, 46-24) concluded the regular season with a 5-4 triumph over the Burlington Bees (66-74, 27-43) to clinch the second half Western Division title on Monday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The Cougars edged out the Clinton LumberKings by one game in the standings.
In the bottom of the first, Zack Shannon collected a sacrifice fly to push the Cougars in front 1-0. In the top of the second, Burlington seized its first lead on Justin Jones' two-run homer off the foul pole in right. The Cougars played long ball in the bottom of the fourth inning when Blaze Alexander unleashed a solo homer to left center. Later in the inning, the Cougars re-took the lead with a David Garza RBI double.
A fourth lead change occurred in the fifth inning. With the bases loaded and two outs, Adrian Rondon hit a ground ball to short and Blaze Alexander committed a throwing error to allow the tying run to score. The next batter, Rayneldy Rosario singled to left field to give the Bees a 4-3 lead.
In the bottom of the fifth, Alexander re-tied the game with a sacrifice fly. In the bottom of the seventh, Buddy Kennedy put the Cougars ahead for good with an RBI triple.
Yaramil Hiraldo (2-1) stranded runners at second and third in the ninth to lockdown the win. He tossed 3.2 innings of scoreless relief out of the bullpen. Luis Alvarado (4-9) allowed the tying and go-ahead runs, suffering the loss in 3.2 innings out of the bullpen.
The Cougars open their first round playoff series on Wednesday night in Clinton before returning to Northwestern Medicine Field for game two on Thursday evening at 6:30. Purchase tickets by calling 630-282-8811 or online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Dragons Burn 'Caps in Season Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Peyton Burdick wins MWL Player of the Month - Clinton LumberKings
- Regular Season Ends with Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season - Beloit Snappers
- On Final Day, Cougars Clinch Western Division - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Close Regular Season with Offensive Explosion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Sweep Snappers to End Regular Season - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Swipe Finale from Hot Rods 3-2 on Homers by Daniel and Davis - South Bend Cubs
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Drop Regular Season Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Season with 5-2 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- EfraÃn Contreras Stars in Season Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Valera's Triple Boosts Captains in Regular Season Finale - Lake County Captains
- Wymer CG Completes Lugnuts' Season - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Regular Season Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 vs. Lansing (Game 138/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season